"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, June 10, 2005

Have you ever worked with a truly annoying person?



Every Friday during the summer I only have to work for four hours, from 7:30-11:30 AM. And it's a good thing too. Today was basically a set up day for next week's production runs. Yesterday I was also doing some prep work for Monday. I was cleaning some of the pieces of one of the machines that I will be using next week.

Well I thought I had cleaned everything well. Cleaned everything to the best of my ability. But my co-worker criticized everything I did. "this is still dirty," he'd say, or "you missed a few spots on this piece", or something like that. He'll even stop what he is doing to examine what I am working on- even to the point of taking whatever it is right out of my hand. How about this one. I'm in the middle of cleaning something and he'll come over to me, see what I'm doing and then ask me if I've finished whatever I'm working on.

Now, for clarification, I don't clean these parts of the machine as often as he does, so probably don't do it as well as he might. But every now and again I'm asked to do some cleaning to give us both a change of pace. Now I don't mind doing this occasionally, because it gives me an opportunity to get away from the machine that I'm running and gives my eyes a break from looking under the microscope at the parts I'm inspecting. But come on, does he really have to criticize everything I do?

My company is ISO certified and what we make is regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration, so we have to operate under more strict regulations than a regular manufacturing operation. Everything we do is written out in many procedures, so that theoretically anyone off of the street could come in to my company, pull out a procedure and by following it, do the job successfully. Some of these procedures involve the cleaning of these machine parts. So today, as I'm preparing to put everything together to go back into the machine, he asks me if I'd polished the parts with a pink paste that shines up the metal real nice. I told him I hadn't done that step, since it is not written in the procedure, which I follow closely, because, as I said, cleaning these parts is not my regular job. Technically, I cleaned the parts correctly because I followed the procedures. Now in company meetings that w've had I've pointed out that the cleaning procedures need to be revised and suggested he be the one to do it, since he performs the function most frequently. To add to my frustration, he refuses to do it stating that he has no time, which is a load of c--- since it would take him all of ten minutes to scribble out some changes. Then he gets upset when I miss a step in the cleaning process that to him seems obvious.

Topping it all off, if I dare criticize HIM for doing something wrong, it's always someone else's fault, not his. Now folks, I'm not perfect, and I make my share of mistakes. I'll be the first one to tell you when I've messed up at work. Accountability is everything.

So the question to you readers is this: Do you know/work with someone like this? If you do, how do/did you deal with the situation? Am I over reacting?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home