"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, May 10, 2010

Lena Horne (1917-2010)

Lena Horne, one of the great pioneer actresses of the early 20th century has died at the age of 92. She helped pave the way for the modern generation of talented African-American actors & actresses, with her talent, grace and good looks.

It's too bad, as Horne herself put it that, "Hollywood didn't know what to do with me."

Indeed, that is a shame.

The only movie I can recall that I saw Ms. Horne act in was Cabin in the Sky, where she played the sultry temptress, Georgia Brown, opposite Eddie "Rochester" Anderson. There is even a song titled Sweet Georgia Brown.

This is a film that I was exposed to in a college film critique/appreciation class in the late 1980's. If you haven't seen this movie, I suggest you do. It is one of my favorites. I reviewed it here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home