"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, April 14, 2006

Anniversaries

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of my divorce becoming official. I'm not depressed about this. Ex and I actually get along better now then we did towards the end of our 9 1/2 year marriage, primarily because we don't see each other every day. Sure there is still some tension there between us, as I'm sure there will always be.

If I have any regrets regarding the dissolution of my marriage it would be the things I did to drive the wedge between us deeper and the way I handled it. Not very Christian-like to be sure. I also regret that my kids have to grow up dealing with a divorce situation. But they handle it well most of the time.

No, there's no chance of reconciliation, nor do I want there to be.

What is depressing is that I have been without a relationship since ex and I separated in August, 2003 and that (aside from one post separation instance) means that it has been 30 months since I have been intimate with a woman. Now I know that sex is not the basis for any lasting relationship and as a Christian, I know that sex outside of marriage is a no-no. Still, as a normal, healthy man this is a reality I deal with and something I think about.

In case you missed it, Christians are not perfect, just forgiven.

---

Today also marks the 141st anniversary of one of the most heinous crimes ever committed in American history. And it happened to my favorite US President of days gone by.

The same calendar variation we're using this year was also used in 1865. Coincidentally, the date was also a Good Friday that year. April 14th, 1865 at 10:15 PM, Abraham Lincoln was murdered in cold blood at Ford's Theater in Washington, DC while watching the play "Our American Cousin," starring Laura Keene and Henry Hawk. Riveted to the on-stage action, Lincoln never saw Booth or the bullet coming.

One of the best books I've read on the subject is "The Day Lincoln Was Shot" by Jim Bishop. It gives an hour by hour look at the last day of Lincoln's life, and the preparations made by Booth and his conspirators.

Ford's Theater and the Petersen House are still two of my favorite places in DC to visit. I always make the time to go there, even though I've been many times.

Can you imagine how American history might have been different if this great man got to live longer than his 56 years? I can't either.

Abraham Lincoln died at 7:22 AM, Saturday, April 15, 1865. When Lincoln breathed his last, Secretary Stanton said of him, "Now he belongs to the ages."

10 Comments:

At 15 April, 2006 02:10, Blogger Bryan said...

I'm sure you'll find the right soul-mate God has for you. Hang in there.

About Lincoln: Here's an article about his assassination you may find interesting. I also wrote something about it on my blog several weeks ago.

 
At 15 April, 2006 07:51, Blogger DaBich said...

Bryan said it well. God surely has someone in mind. It's when we're NOT looking that things happen :)

 
At 15 April, 2006 09:34, Blogger Tim said...

bryan & dabich: I know that God has someone special in mind for me, and I agree, relationships happen when you are not looking for them. It's just frustrating when I want things to happen NOW, which doesn't happen to coincide with God's plan, which is better.

Bryan: I'll take a look at that article later today. Thanks in advance for the link.

 
At 15 April, 2006 10:01, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I'll trade you your no sex because you aren't in a relationship in 3 years for my sex maybe twice in one eyar because of my relationship if you'd like.

 
At 15 April, 2006 10:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll see your three years and raise you three years and seven months!
(That includes no dates either)

 
At 15 April, 2006 10:38, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

That won't last long...me and bluez 'bout to git it down seventies style!!!

 
At 15 April, 2006 11:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL

Why does the song "Jungle Boogie" come to mind???

 
At 15 April, 2006 11:21, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

See, now you're gettin' it!! Unshaved pubes and tight shirts ahoy!!! :)

 
At 15 April, 2006 16:00, Blogger Bryan said...

Green, wishing you and yours a Happy Easter/Resurrection Day and may you know Him in the power of His Resurrection!

 
At 17 April, 2006 14:48, Blogger Kayla said...

I understand, Green!
You know my story. It is incredibly hard to be patient. I am constantly struggling with the same issues you are. (I believe)
We'll find the right person someday! I just pray it is sooner rather than later ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home