"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, December 02, 2006

SNMR 2.13: "Serendipity"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Serendipity" (2001, PG-13, 91 minutes), starring John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale, Jeremy Piven, Bridget Moynihan, Molly Shannon, John Corbett and Eugene Levy. The film was directed by Peter Chelsom.

The first time I saw this film was before the ex and I got divorced, shortly after it came out on DVD. I bought it afterwards because both John Cusack and Kate Becinsale are among my favorite actors and the supporting cast is excellent.

From the DVD's dust case:
Irresistable stars John Cusack (America's Sweethearts, High Fidelity) and Kate Beckinsale (Pearl Harbor, Brokedown Palace) are drawn together and take a chance on love in this critically acclaimed romantic comedy! In the course of one magical evening, Jonathan (Cusack) and Sara (Beckinsale) meet unexpectedly.... then part without expectation when she decides they must let fate determine if they are meant to be together. Years later, they are both engaged to others but cannot give up the dream that- deapite time, distance and the obstacles that conspire to keep them apart- they will one day meet again! Also starring Jeremy Piven (The Family Man, Very Bad Things) and Molly Shannon (Superstar, Never Been Kissed) in a stellar supporting cast- your destined to agree with audiences everywhere who fell for the surprising charms of this delightful big-screen romance!

From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2006, p. 1005:
Scripter Marc Klein sets up a chance encounter between John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, who meet while Christmas shopping at Bloomingdale's. Although both are deeply involved with other people, they agree to meet again, if Fate is so inclined. What follows owes much to the sparkling cast and witty script, but since the other two people involved seem equally worthy, we can't help feeling that somebody's gonna wind up with the fuzzy end of the lollipop.


I absolutely love this movie. The cast is great and the story is excellent. The script is fast paced and well written, so the film has a nice steady flow to it. I like the time-lapse photography sequences- they add a nice touch. This is an excellent romantic comedy and well worth the rental. Since it's been out for five years now, you can find it in stores for cheap money. I'll give this film five out of five stars.

14 Comments:

At 04 December, 2006 14:29, Blogger Tim said...

scribe: I erased your comment. If you want to voice an opinion about the movie, that's fine and appropriate. But assinine comments like the one you left are not necessary or appropriate. Ever.

 
At 05 December, 2006 20:39, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Ooo, tickled a nerve, did I? LOL

sorry, hoss, but guys don't like movies like that unless they're suspect.

 
At 05 December, 2006 21:01, Blogger Tim said...

such generalizations you make.

I'm not like most guys. I like movies with well written and conceived stories and with excellent acting. This film has both.

I also like films with some of my favorite actors in them. So even if this was a bad movie, which it is not, I'd like it because I like the work of both of the lead actors.

 
At 06 December, 2006 01:55, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to see some “real” flower power?

 
At 06 December, 2006 12:07, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

green,

Most guys, eh? I don't know any guy under the age of 45 who doesn't require everything you listed from a movie.

 
At 06 December, 2006 12:28, Blogger Tim said...

So why then, in the unfalterable (not) adn unfathomable wisdom of the scribemeister, can a guy not enjoy a romantic comedy?

Guy movies don't necessarily need car chases and crashes, shoot 'em up scenes or stuff blowing up every five seconds.

 
At 06 December, 2006 13:21, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

A guy can like a romantic comedy. It's just that when a guy likes one that is so obviously geared toward a female audience that I have to wonder...Take the Break-up, for example. Overall a piece of drek and waste of time, but it at least tries to balance the two genders.

As far as car chases and explosions, there was a time when I'd O.D.'d on that stuff to a point where I wouldn't watch anyhting with an action sequence in it, so that's not an issue.

 
At 06 December, 2006 13:31, Blogger Tim said...

I do think this movie has a balance between the genders. Are we talking about the same movie?????

Generally speaking though, the romantic comedy genre is geared toward women, the supposed "more romantic" of the two genders.

I'd be hard pressed to find a romantic comedy specifically geared toward a predominantly male audience. I don't think that one exists.

Can you think of any?

 
At 06 December, 2006 20:32, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I found seven days seven nights to be a thinly disguised guy's movie.

 
At 10 December, 2006 21:31, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I loved Seven Days and Seven nights. I loved Serendipity. But I'm a girl. My husband likes romantic comedy or just romance and I think his favorite is Laws of Attraction. He sat and cried with me when we watched The Notebook.

 
At 11 December, 2006 11:25, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I heard the notebook was schmaltzy crap but have never seen it- I've read interviews with the author and he just excretes "hack" from every orifice.

 
At 15 December, 2006 18:57, Blogger Tim said...

Six Days Seven Nights. Please get the title correct....

 
At 19 December, 2006 15:27, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Oh, right! LOL Cause it was such an important cinematic milestone! LMAO!!!!

 
At 19 December, 2006 15:28, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

rain,

That's not why I use the term Chick Flick. It has nothing to do with attacking manliness for me. It has to do with biological response. Females are not wired the same way as men and vicey versey. It isn't an insult when I use it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home