"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

I love this game



This game is called "Nobunaga's Ambition" by Koei of Japan and it's for the original, classic Nintendo NES system. I've been playing this game off and on since 1989, when it first came out. After 18 years, it is just as good as it was when I played it in college.

The game begins in the Spring of 1560, during Japan's Warring States period. The goal of the game is to unite the Islands of Japan under one ruler, called a daimyo. You.

How you play is simple, or is it? Every season you get to make one decision per fief or territory that you own. Your decisions range the gamut: from buying rice at the market to building your town, maintaining your dams and growing crops to hiring and maintaining an army in order to conquer other fiefs. You can hire ninjas and do stealth damage to other daimyo's fiefs, too. But beware, you can also have ninjas sent against you. You must also avoid disasters, like being struck by typhoons or the plague, which damage your fief. Occasionally your peasants or troops will revolt against you, so you must keep them happy. You win when you unite the country under your leadership - you lose when your daimyo is killed.

Of course, there are many other things that you must do to win the game. I have given you but a sampling. The game comes with a 17 or 50 fief option, so you can either conquer central Japan or all four islands. There are five skill levels and up to eight people can play during any one game. The challenge now for me is conquering the whole island with each daimyo and to do it in as few seasons as possible. Each daimyo has his own set of strengths and weaknesses with which you must contend.

When I was in college, I beat the 17 fief game playing for six hours straight. The 50 fief game takes considerably longer and is by far more challenging. Fortunately, the cartridge allows one game to be saved at a time. There is no score in this game. The picture above is a screen shot of what you see when you actually win the game.

When I bought this game originally the cart cost me $60. Now you can find them on eBay for considerably less. You can even find on occasion, a copy of this game still shrink-wrapped in the original packaging, which is what I was able to do to replace my original cart. If you have an old Nintendo NES system lying around, you should make a small investment in this game. I emailed Koei a few years ago and asked them if this game was available for any other system or in any other format, hoping that there would be a PC version that I could buy. Unfortunately they said no. Oh, well - as long as my NES works, I'll be fine...

Do any of you still own a Nintendo machine from the late 80's - early 90's? (You can pick one up and tons of games on eBay.) If so, what games do you like to play?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 10 July, 2007 10:40, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I could swear that you blogged this before. Maybe I'm delusional or having strange dreams again.

 
At 10 July, 2007 13:08, Blogger Tim said...

strange dreams? maybe.

delusional? if you were, how would you know?

maybe I had it posted previously but intended to hit the draft button instead...

 
At 10 July, 2007 14:24, Blogger ~AprilD said...

Dude. I swear, there were other comments on this subject too!

Anyway,

We loved the original NES too. I can't tell you how many hours I wasted playing Mario 3 WITH and without the cheat book! Willow and Ironsword were also my favs. Legend of Zelda got Mikey hooked on RPGs. Good times, good times.

 
At 10 July, 2007 14:40, Blogger DaBich said...

I CANNOT play those type of games. I can't sit still that long LOL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home