"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, January 05, 2008

SNMR 4.8: "My Cousin Vinny"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "My Cousin Vinny" (1992, R, 120 minutes), starring Joe Pesci, Marisa Tomei, Ralph Macchio, Fred Gwynne Lane Smith, Mitchell Whitfield and Bruce McGill. The film was directed by Jonathan Lynn.

The first time I saw this movie was when it came out on DVD, the year I graduated from college. My girlfriend (at that time) and I rented it. Since then I've watched this movie a few times. Hot Marisa Tomei won Best Supporting Actress for her role as Mona Lisa Vito.

PLOT SUMMARY: Two New York City boys (Macchio, Whitfield) are mistakenly arrested as murderers while passing through a small Alabama town. Since they have no money for an attorney, the family sends down a cousin who recently graduated from law school to defend the boys. Vincent Gambini and his girlfriend, New Yorkers with stereotypical accents come to save the day (Tomei).

WHAT I LIKED ABOUT THIS MOVIE: I still think this movie is funny despite the overuse of the f-word and other profanity. Pesci and Tomei have good comedic timing and some of the situations and one-liners in this movie are hilarious. I also love the way that they exaggerate their Noo-Yawk accents. The late actor (most notably as Herman Munster) and children's book author Fred Gwynne, gives a very underrated comic performance as Judge Chamberlain Haller.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT THIS MOVIE: Well, I'm not a fan of excessive profanity, so that bothered me. I wonder if this movie would still be as funny if the writer used cleaner language.

*** out of *****

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 06 January, 2008 13:43, Blogger ~AprilD said...

Oh come on! Excessive use of profanity?? I think that's what sold me on the flick!! But then I think I was in Jr. High when I first watched it. But I still love it, one of my favs.

 
At 06 January, 2008 15:53, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Did you just use the same reason EFB's brother dislike movies??? Thought you were cooler than that.

 
At 06 January, 2008 15:59, Blogger Tim said...

I did say I liked this movie and that I thought it was funny. But I wonder if it could have been just as funny with cleaner language choices.

 
At 07 January, 2008 07:45, Blogger DaBich said...

LOL...my own daughter chides me on using the bomb...she's 21, go figure.
As long as the word isn't directed at anyone in a mean way, I'm ok with it. I guess I'm bad.
I remember the movie, it was funny.

 
At 08 January, 2008 00:34, Blogger EE said...

I love this movie!!!!!!
I don't remember the language...I guess I'm desensitized:o

 

Post a Comment

<< Home