"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, October 17, 2009

SNMR 7.10: "Confessions of a Shopaholic"

GREEN'S POCKET FULL O' CREDIT CARDS REVIEW:

There isn't a store in the world or a sale small enough to bypass the notice of Rebecca Bloomwood (Isla Fisher) who is a shopaholic in denial and up to her eyeballs in debt because of it, as her many credit card bills attest. Bloomwood is a journalist who dreams of writing for 'Alette,' her favorite fashion magazine. Not only does she not get the job, she doesn't even get an interview because the position was filled internally. Another interview she stumbles into for a financial advice magazine goes horribly wrong... That night, in a drunken state, she mails two letters: one thoughtful and well written and one, well, not so thoughtful. Predictably the letters get mixed and before you know it, the most unlikely person is writing a financial advice column.

I had thought about going to see this movie during its theatrical run but kept deciding against it for whatever reason. While I did enjoy the movie, I'm glad I got to see it for free. "Confessions" certainly is a breezy puff piece, and if you can accept that, you'll enjoy this movie more. Despite it's light airiness, the film does raise three relevant issues: 1] that we live in a buy it now, pay for it later and don't give a second thought about it society (until the bills start rolling in); 2] because of #1 how easy it is to get swept up into financial troubles with the use of one of more credit cards (believe me, I know about this) and 3] exactly how collection agencies and debt collectors do not operate, thanks to the FDCPA or Fair Debt Collection & Practices Act. This I know all too well as I am someone who has worked extensively in this field for most of my adult life.

I think that I liked this movie as much as I did because I can relate to points 1 & 2 and appreciate the humorous look at #3.

Isla FIsher is good in the role of Rebecca Bloomwood. Hugh Dancy was also believable as the tough editor with a soft spot for the cute redhead. It took me a bit to realize who was playing the part of Alette and it turns out to be Kristin Scott Thomas, normally a decent actress but here with a very bad French accent. Joan Cusack and John Goodman were nothing short of brilliant in the 'oh-my-gawd-those-are-your-parents?' role. I really didn't care for dose of common sense and best friend Suze, played by Kristen Ritter. Not the character, per se, but I think they could have chosen a better actress for the role. Robert Stanton does a great job with his smarmy debt collector character, Derek Smeath.


***½ out of *****

Confessions of a Shopaholic (2009, PG, 105 minutes), starring Isla Fisher, Hugh Dancy, Krysten Ritter, Joan Cusack, John Goodman, Kristin Scott Thomas, John Lithgow, Leslie Bibb and Robert Stanton. The screenplay was written by Tracey Jackson, Tim Firth and Kayla Alpert based on novels by Sophie Kinsella. The film was directed by P.J. Hogan.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home