"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, January 09, 2006

On calendars

First, let me take care of some business.

I did warn you that I was going to be a bit serious and personal in some of my posts this year. I hope you enjoyed them. Perhaps there will be more to come.

---

Since there are more NFL Playoff games this weekend, Friday's post will focus on the divisional matchups and again I'll give you my "expert" predictions. While my scores & predictions weren't perfect, I did come close to the mark on three out of four of the games. Hopefully I can do as well this weekend.

---

During the day I was thinking about what I would write about for today's post. After I went to the post office and cleared out my mail box, I went to Barnes and Noble. Now if you've read some of my archives, you'll know that I don't like bookstores. Not because I don't like books because I do. I dislike bookstores because I always tend to spend more money in them than I intend to or have budgeted for. Tonight was not as bad as it could have been. I did walk out with a few more things than I had intended on buying, though.

Specifically, I was looking for a Dilbert page-a-day 2006 calendar, since I've had one of these for the last three years. Now that the new year is slightly over a week old, stores that sell calendars are panicking that they will not be able to sell their stock and have drastically discounted the price. Tonight calendars were 50% off. That was good. Perhaps next week I'll go back again to see what stock is left & how much more they will be discounted.

Have you ever considered just how many different calendars are printed each year? Tonight I must have seen at least 45 different page-a-day calendars and probably over 100 different wall calendars. You can find a calendar for just about any interest or hobby. Any subject you like - pick one.

Some of the calendars that I recall seeing were about sports teams, Nascar drivers, swimsuit models, pets and wild animals. There were calendars offering daily jokes, jokes about doctors, jokes about old people, several comic strip based calendars, new words, Bible verses, trivia games, tips on crafty things. Calendars showing scenery, sunsets, windmills, waterfalls, lighthouses, constellations. There were calendars based on movies from the past year, airplanes both modern and military, motorcycles, cars, trucks, road signs. I even saw a page-a-day calendar offering 365 different sex positions a year, including simple drawings on how to do them. This calendar was a new one for me. They also had your basic desk calendars, calendar notebooks, calendar-date book-journal thingies. Absolutely amazing was the variety. All for half off.

Wouldn't you know it, of all the page-a-day calendars they had, I could not find any Dilbert calendars. So I ended up buying a small book of dragon stories for my daughter's birthday (planning way ahead) and two calendars. One for my mom and one for me.

My calendar of choice is called Forgotten English, a 365-day calendar of Vanishing Vocabulary and Folklore for 2006. So today and throughout the year, I'll share some of these forgotten English words and folklore based stories with you, starting TODAY.

Today's word was: PLUVIAL: pertaining to rain; rainy. From Latin pluvialis, rain.

-Daniel Lyon's Dictionary of the English Language, 1897.

10 Comments:

At 10 January, 2006 05:48, Blogger DaBich said...

I just realized we have no calendar for 2006! I musst go to a bookstore and buy one....50% off!
Good choice for yours, Green. I also get word of the day in my e-mailbox. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 10 January, 2006 08:46, Blogger Kristi B. said...

I usually get the Chick-Fil-A ones for the coupons!

 
At 10 January, 2006 09:24, Blogger Genna said...

I love calendars. That was what I bought my family for Christmas, since I was low on cash. Everyone seemed to like theirs. I love people who are easy to please! :)

About not being able to find your calendar--if you don't look for it, you will find it. That is what always happens when I am specifically shopping for something. When I quit looking, there it is!

 
At 10 January, 2006 12:14, Blogger Stephanie said...

I usually buy people calendars too because they always have the greatest pictures. I recieved one this year that had scenic pictures with a portion of a different Psalm on it for each month. I LOVE it: the pictures are gorgeous.

I look forward to learning new words each and every day! hehe

 
At 10 January, 2006 19:29, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a lighthouse calandar for 2006. I love lighthouses, in fact my den down here is a mixture of lighthouses and Yankee pics and posters (hah green, no Damon yet!)

Anyway, One day when I'm rich and famous, I want to refurbish a lighthouse and live in it. *sigh*

 
At 10 January, 2006 19:48, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Green wrote:I even saw a page-a-day calendar offering 365 different sex positions a year, including simple drawings on how to do them

Scribe replied: I got so sick of posing for that damn thing!!!

 
At 10 January, 2006 20:19, Blogger Tim said...

scribe: I knew that bit would elicit a wise guy comment from you, so I reply:

Those lame stick figures were you and who (the gf)? sad.

 
At 10 January, 2006 20:34, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scribe: I'm surprised your g/f didn't cut out the heads of the models and put her pic on um!

 
At 11 January, 2006 11:00, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

No, the "lame stick figures" were the sanitized version because the calendar makers were afraid that small children would be frightened by my astoundingly huge genitalia,m thereby traumatizing them for life and hindering their emotional development.

 
At 13 January, 2006 07:10, Blogger Wenchy said...

Next year I'll send ya a South African one if you like... calendar that is.

I love book shops but yes, I spend, spend, spend in 'em.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home