"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, January 05, 2006

One of my favorite words

Thanks, genna for inspiring this clarification (you did it again):

From Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary, page 1277:

SCHMOOZE (shmooz), v.i., schmoozed, schmoozing, n. Slang. -- v.i., 1. to chat idly; gossip. -- n. 2. idle conversation; chatter. Also, schmoose, schmoos. [ Yiddish, v. use of shmues Heb. shemu'oth reports, gossip (root sm' hear)]

I use this word, not because I'm into gossip, but becasue I can't say this word without smiling. ;>)

Try it - frown and say schmooze. Hard to do isn't it?

10 Comments:

At 05 January, 2006 22:34, Blogger Nabeel said...

hmmm .. i like this word too .. will try to use it in a conversation.

 
At 06 January, 2006 04:54, Blogger Genna said...

Thank you!

 
At 06 January, 2006 05:31, Blogger DaBich said...

I wondered what that meant, now I know!!

 
At 06 January, 2006 09:27, Blogger Kristi B. said...

wow. it's so clear to me now! I guess that shows how lazy I am, not to look it up myself.

 
At 06 January, 2006 14:02, Blogger Stephanie said...

hahahaha schmooze is a great word!

 
At 06 January, 2006 18:47, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

It's impossible to frown when saying this word!!

Schmooooooooozzzeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr uggggggggggghhhhhhhh....GRRRRRRR

Nope, can't do it 'cause frowning requires the mouth to be closed...

DUH, here's my sign. LOL

 
At 06 January, 2006 20:28, Blogger Nate said...

Hey Green,

Schmooze, what a word!

Hey I saw your reading MBT by Lewis Sperry, awesome stuff. I'm about to start posting some LS Chafer, check it out.

PEACE,

NATE

 
At 06 January, 2006 20:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

First google link on "schmooze"

schMOOze U. is a small, friendly college known for its hospitality and the diversity of the student population. It was established in July, 1994 as a place where people studying English as a second or foreign language could practice English while sharing ideas and experiences with other learners and practicers of English. Students have opportunities for one-on-one and group conversations as well as access to language games such as Scrabble and Boggle, an on-line dictionary, a virtual library and a grammar maze. Although schMOOze U. was founded with ESL/EFL students in mind, it welcomes all people interested in cross-cultural communication.

I go to SU , it ain't Syracuse!!

 
At 06 January, 2006 23:00, Blogger Tim said...

nate:

welcome to my blog & thanks for your comments. Come back frequently.

MBT. Excellent but very good. Definitely not fluff reading...

I will visit your blog again.

 
At 07 January, 2006 09:12, Blogger Nate said...

Green,

No doubt, I like what you have going dude!

Yeah MBT is no fluff reading! Right now I'm working through LS Chafer's systematic, it's taking time but well worth it!!

PEACE,
NATE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home