"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, April 21, 2006

Sometimes plans change...

...even when we don't want them to. Mine certainly have.

Wednesday night I made gorditas for myself for dinner. When I bought the ingredients, I didn't buy any sour cream because I had some in the refrigerator. I really wanted and was looking forward to having sour cream with my gorditas. When I went to open the container, I discovered that my sour cream really was sour. Yecch. So I went without and the gorditas came out fine.

Was I disappointed? Absolutely.

Will it be the end of the world? No. Probably not.

Today, on my way to meet the ex and pick up the kids, I stopped at the post office to check my mailbox for the first time since Tuesday. What do you think was the first thing I pulled out of a full mailbox?

The letter I have been waiting for, regarding The Plan. Just not this version of it.


April 18, 2006


Dear (Green),

The Admissions Committee has reviewed your application for admission to Dallas Theological Seminary. I regret to inform you that the Committee was not able to approve your application.

Applicants are evaluated on the basis of the academic record, the extent and quality of involvement in Christian service, the apparent gifts and potential placement into Christian ministry, and the assessment of references. The Admissions Committee found the need for strengthening within these areas and was not able to approve your application.

We trust that the Lord will continue to guide you as you seek an opportunity for further study in preparation for Christian service.

In His service,

Director of Admissions


Am I disappointed? Absolutely.

Will it be the end of the world? No.

So the door has been closed for my plan to move to Texas. I still feel like I am being called by the Holy Spirit to work in, and still have the desire to get into the ministry. Now I'll just have to find a different path to get there.

Does this setback shake or alter my faith? No. Now I just need to reflect and pray about it, which way God is leading me. First thing I need to do is e-mail the Director of Admissions at DTS to get specifics on where my application was weak and what improvements I need to make to strengthen it.

Sometimes we get so caught up in our own plans that we lose sight of the fact that God is in control and has a plan. Sometimes, our plans and His plans do not coincide. It is these times when we must trust that He knows what He's doing, even though I don't.

What I do know is that there will be (has to be) changes in my life this year, just not quite the ones I was hoping for. For one, at present job and salary, I can no longer afford to live here. Since it appears I'm not moving the job or salary will need to change. I will keep you informed of developments as the occasion arises.

16 Comments:

At 21 April, 2006 22:34, Blogger Ruth said...

You are taking this very well... at least you write like you are...

I think the phrasing of that letter leaves a bit to be desired (putting it mildly). Made my blood boil... takes a lot to make that happen.

Sending positive vibes your way...
xo S

 
At 21 April, 2006 22:43, Blogger Tim said...

Sarafina: What other choice do I have but to take it this way? I could throw a tantrum and break things, but in the end the result would still be the same. There are other schools out there that I can apply to, so the plan just has to be modified. I really liked Dallas, though. :>(

Still I am bummed about the decision and appreciate the positive vibes. Send as many as you can spare.....

 
At 22 April, 2006 07:20, Blogger American Guy said...

If you don't mind me saying:

Thank god it turned out this way.

You can still follow your passion, and you really should. But now your kids will be spared the pain of you being out of their lives.

 
At 22 April, 2006 07:27, Blogger American Guy said...

um, i was talking about the texas thing, not the gorditas.

Though I'm sure you'll cope with that loss.

 
At 22 April, 2006 11:08, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Dallas Theological has actually lost a great deal of respect in the Christian Community over the years. You should wear your rejection like a badge of honor. Try Clearwater Christian College next, which has a marvellous reputation. It's a 4 year college and was the first 4 year college in Pinellas County (a huge area here) for at least 20 years. Besides, what better place to raise your kids than the Tampa Bay Area? ;o)

 
At 22 April, 2006 13:39, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

from clearwater's site:

a focus on challenging students to love God wholly, to know Him intimately, and to serve Him fervently;


some "challenge."

 
At 22 April, 2006 14:17, Blogger Tim said...

uniquetexasgal: Thanks, I appreciate that.

ag: I KNEW you would say that...

saur: I hadn't heard anything bad about DTS and what I saw when I went there gave me no reason to change that opinion.
Tampa area is nice. My grandmother lives in Clearwater. However the college that you suggest offers undergraduate programs and I was looking for a graduate program.

scribe: it is a challenge.

 
At 22 April, 2006 15:19, Blogger Kayla said...

I know you're disappointed, Green.
Another door will open and lead you to the right place.
In the meantime, make the most of where you're planted...maybe what you really needed is a new job :)

 
At 22 April, 2006 16:47, Blogger Theologian said...

The only place Dallas has really lost respect is in fundamentalist communities that expect Dallas to be as it was in the 1960's. It is still a very good school and I share your disappointment about not getting in. I wish you the best.

 
At 22 April, 2006 18:41, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Green, ahhh. Well then it wouldn't be the college for you. As for DTS, there is a lot of controversy about it. Overall, it's considered to be a somewhat liberal version of it's old self, from what I understand. But, more importantly, how fair is it to evaluate someone on their level of work in the christian community? How do they evaluate new Christians? So works are a qualifier?

 
At 22 April, 2006 19:01, Blogger Tim said...

kayla: I know God has the plan for me, just need to find the path its on.

theologian: I loved the place when I visited it. Too bad really.

saur: I'm going to email the admissions director and get more info on why I was rejected. When I find out I'll post about it.

 
At 22 April, 2006 23:38, Blogger Ruth said...

TAG! You're it! :o)

 
At 23 April, 2006 12:25, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it didn't work out for you green. I do believe all things happen for a reason. Even if the reason isnt' positive, its good you're looking at it in a positive way.

 
At 23 April, 2006 15:41, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

green,

doesn't seem like a challenge for you, mr. party line :)

 
At 23 April, 2006 16:35, Blogger Theologian said...

Good idea to call admissions. They might be able to help you out. I respect that you are willing to do that. It may end up helping you out in the long run either at DTS or another school.

 
At 24 April, 2006 08:06, Blogger DaBich said...

I'm really bummed out that you didn't get accepted, as I know how excited you were about this particular school. BUT...as you say, God has His own plans for us. So...pray on it, meditate, and see what opens for you. Good luck!
LOL on the sour cream.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home