"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

On chance meetings, interesting advertising and gas prices

So I'm standing in line at the grocery store deli counter near my apartment tonight after work and I hear a voice I had not heard in over 16 years. Standing to my right was a guy named Jim, whom I knew a lifetime ago (back in my college days) when I worked at the K-Mart in North Billerica, MA. He ran the Receiving Department and therefore the main stock room (and still does, apparently) which was near to the Sporting Goods Department, where I and a goofy chap named Steve used to work (He is now the manager of that department, last I heard).

Anyway, this guy Jim, looked and sounded exactly the same as I remembered him: bald with a thick, full, black beard (but with a few patches of gray, now) and loud (even standing there in line with his wife/girlfriend). Jim, though didn't remember me, even as I recited to him things that only people who worked there at that time would know. Part of me was glad he didn't remember me but the other part of me was a tad disappointed.

---

At the grocery store I needed to buy some cheap cat food. Cat food with the words "excellent taste" and "the taste cats love" boldly emblazened on each box. Now I want to know HOW the folks at Purina know this cat food tastes good and HOW do they know cats love it? They must have talking cats on their panel of advertising gurus or taste testers. For it is my experience that cats will eat just about anything if they are hungry enough, no matter what the taste. And these tasters of the food, were they really feline or were they actually human? Did they like this cat food better than another flavor of theirs or better than a similar flavor from a different manufacturer?

---

Gasoline is once again inching up near $3 a gallon here in southern New Hampshire, with no signs of a decline, since the summer driving season will soon be upon us. I went out of my way tonight in order to go to my favorite station, which always has the cheapest (if not the most then pretty darn close) gas around. I paid $2.89 9/10 per gallon for (87 octane) a whopping total of $49.00!! A station less than 1/3 of a mile down the street from where I was had similar gas $.04 higher per gallon. Craziness...

8 Comments:

At 18 May, 2006 01:24, Blogger American Guy said...

"Now I want to know HOW the folks at Purina know this cat food tastes good and HOW do they know cats love it?"

Easy, they employ old people (this cat food tastes good) and leftover 1950's groovers (cats love it).

 
At 18 May, 2006 01:30, Blogger American Guy said...

"Gasoline is once again inching up near $3 a gallon here in southern New Hampshire"

Sorry charlie, americans don't get to complain about expensive fuel.

Here in Oz, we're paying $1.35 per litre - which is about $5.40 per gallon. It's even worse in most of Europe.

Drive less. You and 300 million others.

And stop buying SUVs. (I know you don't have one personally, but there's no reason that any suburban dweller needs one)

Until then, I say let the price keep rising.

 
At 18 May, 2006 07:31, Blogger DaBich said...

I hear you on the gas prices. $2.85 here in Pennsylvania, just went down 2 pennies. I was shocked lol
AG ~ SHIEST! $5.40 a gallon, no wonder you like to ride your bike!!

When we want to "go for a ride" hubby and I take the motorcycle. It's easy on gas.

 
At 18 May, 2006 16:40, Blogger Nunzia said...

ah God, tell me about it! I work in energy policy. I dont even drive. Who knew I would have this much grief!

 
At 18 May, 2006 17:25, Blogger Tim said...

AG: Americans can complain as long and as loudly as we like, until someone listens. Even if no one is listening, we like to complain anyway, just for the halibut..

 
At 18 May, 2006 18:13, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

On familiar faces--It doesn't bother me when I remember people from my past and they don't remember me. It drives me absolutely nuts when I see someone from my past and I can't remember where I know them from or worse yet, what their name is....and of course I'm way too embarrassed to ask them where I know them from.(this rarely happens with me but still drives me bonkers)

On cats-- green, I don't know what cats you've been around but in my experience, I've known some pretty finicky felines. For instance: my cat Louie will only eat dry food(preferable Science Diet) and he hates milk and tuna...even though he's on the heavy side. He's a little dickins. LOL

On gas-- I no longer gripe about the price, well....okay maybe I do but, now my main focus is on how these insane prices are affecting the public. Some people do things that are just totally insane at the pumps now-a-days. I did a couple posts regarding this subject on my Yahoo360 Page not long ago. Take a peek if you want sometime. BTW, gas prices in St. Louis Mo. are at $2.74 9/10 per gallon today. ;)

 
At 18 May, 2006 21:05, Blogger American Guy said...

Americans can complain as long and as loudly as we like, until someone listens."

And this is the essence of why so much of the world is fed up with the UTA. Face it folks, you've got it better than anyone else in the world. You have more food, cheaper fuel, lower taxes (do NOT whine about paying taxes, my fellow americans. Why can't you accpet that that's what it takes to run a country?), and above all, greater opportunity than just about any of the 5.7 billion non-americans on the planet. Oh, and of course you use a disproportionate amount of the resources leaving most of the rest of the world to fight for table scraps.

Stop the whinging.

 
At 18 May, 2006 21:19, Blogger Tim said...

that and most countries dislike the USA because we proudly ally ourselves with Israel, whom a great many countries in the world cannot stand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home