"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, May 08, 2006

Genealogy & grandparents

Yesterday, upon leaving my parent's house, I was reminded of how little time I spend on one of my hobbies. That would be the family historian and genealogist on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. (I have a 2nd cousin once removed who is the last male of my family to still reside in the mother country, England. He keeps the records over there and does a great job of it- better than I do here.)

I was given care of three audio cassettes, two cancelled passports, an expired driver's license, a social security card and a Salvation Army minister identification card. All belonging to my paternal grandparents, one of whom is deceased (2001) and the other of whom will celebrate his 97th birthday later this month.

My grandfather is the patriarch of my family, the last living link between three large, otherwise separate families. Recent health issues now have him permanently in the infirmary of the residence in which he lives. He's doing as well as a man of his advanced age can be expected to be doing, but is no longer able to take care of himself independently the way he would like to.

This is a man who used to always wake up at 4:30 AM, get dressed in slacks, shirt, necktie, dress shoes and look otherwise impeccable.... To do nothing. For the last 10-12 years or so he has been legally blind, with his mind basically intact...

Personally, I never expected him to last this long after his wife of almost 70 years passed almost five years ago at the ripe old age of 94. She was his life. She was his soulmate, his best friend. And most definitely the sweetest woman I have ever met.

I've often said that, if these people - my grandparents- don't get into heaven then no one does. Which is quite the task, since they've set the bar so high...

Anyway, for symmetrical purposes, it would be nice to see my grandfather reach the mystical century mark in 2009, even if he doesn't remember it.

8 Comments:

At 08 May, 2006 22:52, Blogger Ruth said...

Grandparents are an elusive thing to me as they had very little presence in my life. Luckily, I had others that served in that role. Glad to hear you had some great ones! xo S

 
At 09 May, 2006 05:52, Blogger DaBich said...

Wow, 97...hard to imagine. I'm hoping that he still WANTS to live. It has to be hard being legally blind. God Bless!

 
At 09 May, 2006 12:44, Blogger Nunzia said...

i love my grandma more than anything and she is 84. i feel so blessed shes lived to be so old yet the thought of losing her still haunts me. thank u for sharing that. God bless!

 
At 09 May, 2006 17:18, Blogger Tim said...

sarafina: I have two grandparents left. THe other is my maternal grandmother (the "infamous" one) who, I believe, will be 88 in August.

dabich: I'm not sure he wants to live here anymore. He keeps talking about going home to heaven to be with his sweety. Can't say much that I blame him...

nunzia: is your 84 year old grandmom still in relatively good health? If so, maybe she's got plenty of time left...

 
At 09 May, 2006 17:52, Blogger American Guy said...

Living to a ripe old age is a good thing as long as you're healthy.

Fortunately for me we have a fair bit of longevity in my family. I have at least some memory of 4 of my great-grgandparents. Three made it into their nineties and the other his 80's. On the other hand my mum died in her 50's so that's not so good. Oddly, it was my great grandfather that died when he was 87 who i would choose to emulate when it's my time to go. He was in perfect mental physical health when he got run over by a car.

Stuff happens.

 
At 09 May, 2006 21:44, Blogger DaBich said...

Ouch. Run over by a car...that just sucks. :(

 
At 09 May, 2006 23:12, Blogger American Guy said...

ouch maybe, but i'd choose that over his wife, who lasted another 15 years - but in that time had 4 strokes, could no longer care for herself and in the end didn't recognise most of her own family.

 
At 10 May, 2006 08:30, Blogger DaBich said...

That's double ouch, AG, and so sad :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home