"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, July 31, 2006

Clarification of my position: Israel v. Hezbollah

It seems that American Guy has taken offense to my statement that I support Israel 100% since he has dedicated an entire post on his blog to it and also linked it to God v. Darwin. He is now accusing me of taking pleasure in the deaths of Lebanese Muslims (and no doubt civilians, too) so I can "buy my ticket into heaven," or some other such nonsense.

First of all, let me say that I do not approve of war in general. However, such things do and will happen.

It is unfortunate that civilians, mainly women and children, are caught in the middle of the fighting going on right now between Israel and Hezbollah.

I am pleased to read in today's Boston Globe that Israel has agreed to cessation of their airstrikes over southern Lebanon for 48 hours, because of the international outcry over the deaths of said civilians.

However, I strongly believe that the IDF has acted correctly in defending themselves against Hezbollah. This is an organization that, with public vocal support from Iran and Syria, and silent support from other Arab nations, would like nothing better than to have Israel and the entire Jewish population wiped from the face of the earth. Don't think for a second that the Hezbollah rockets being fired into towns in northern Israel are just for show. These rockets are being fired to do exactly the same damage to Israel's civilian population as the IDF's airstrikes are now doing to southern Lebanese towns in which Hezbollah is using as a shield. Hezbollah is not firng it's weapons at the IDF but at towns filled with Israeli civilians.

It is also very easy to believe that a terrorist organization like Hezbollah would intentionally set up their rocket launchers in heavily populated civilian areas so that when the IDF strikes back civilians would be hit. Terrorist organizations in general don't give a rat's rectum and what comes out of it about civilian populations - Israel's or their own. Hezbollah is no different.

Hezbollah knows that if/when the world and specifically Arab nations in general learn that the IDF has, however inadvertently, killed Muslim women and children, that more nations would condemn Israel and its actions. This is exactly the result desired by Hezbollah, even if it is not publicized. And, unfortunately, it works every time.

This current conflict, in my opinion, signals the return of an open Arab determination to eliminate the Jewish state once and for all, instead of veiled attempts to do the same. When I say I support Israel 100% always, I am referring to their right to exist and to be in that land, which is rightfully theirs.

Now this does not mean that I agree with everything the Israeli government does regarding the current conflict, simply because I don't know all of the details, facts and reasons behind it- because this information is not up for public debate or scrutiny.

However, I am very aware of the underlying reasons for the endless conflict between Israel and the Arab nations in the Middle East, which is an argument that has been going on for millennia and which I've stated above. This conflict has only one way to be permanently resolved. It is a way in which non-Christians and non-religious types refuse to deal.

What I do know is this: this conflict and others will continue to plague the region despite negotiations and promises of cease fire agreements and any other diplomatic efforts by the US, UN, EU, ACLU or the girl scouts.

And that this or any other conflict in the Middle East has no bearing whatsoever on wether or not I'm going to heaven or not.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TANGENT:

Before you even ask - do I welcome the "end times"?

Yes and no.

Yes, because I believe that I, nor any other Christian for that matter, will be present on earth for it.

No, because I have a general idea of what's coming and have great compassion for those who will have to live through it (or try to anyway...). Have you ever heard the phrase "hell on earth"? This future time, my friends, is exactly what it refers to.

END TANGENT
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither does this current conflict have any effect on the yet future reality of Armageddon, for Jesus Himself said:

"...You will hear of wars and rumors of wars, but see to it that you are not alarmed. Such things must happen, but the end is still to come. Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of birth pains..." Matt. 24:6-8

Finally, I know this from past experience - that AG (and perhaps others) will attempt to twist my words in this post to make me out to be some kind of evil racist who hates Arabs or Muslims when nothing could be further from the truth.

So I leave you with this question: Do you support Israel or Hezbollah? C'mon, be brave and voice your opinion and (if you care to say) why you take one side or the other. I think it's evident whom I support.

15 Comments:

At 31 July, 2006 23:04, Blogger American Guy said...

I still can't get past this:

Green on GVD on July 29: "I support Israel 100%. Always."

Green on SLIBW-SLIBD on July 30: "Just becasue I support Israel doesn't mean I support everything they are doing."

What's the difference between always and everything?

 
At 31 July, 2006 23:23, Blogger American Guy said...

and for the record, i never claimed to say that hezbollah are the good guys here. I don't think lobbing rockets into a neighbouring country is a good thing to do.

BUT

considering that israel have knowingly targetted civilian areas, their offense is (in my humble opinion) worse.

The argument that hezbollah set up their forces near civilians so that's where israel has to hit them is spurious at best. What you are saying when you make this argument, is that hezbollah are commiting war crimes, so it's ok that israel commits war crimes too. Is that really the argument you want to make?

 
At 31 July, 2006 23:38, Blogger Tim said...

What I'm saying is this - Hezbollah's rockets are intentionally being aimed at northern Israel's civilian population.

And that Hezbollah is intentionally positioning their weapons in civilian areas on purpose. If that act constitutes a war crime then yes, that's what I'm saying.

Seems obvious to me that the IDF is not purposefully trying to hit civilian centers and regrets doing so (as evidenced by their voluntary 48 hour cease on air strikes to allow civilians to get out of the way) but has because that's where Hezbollah's attacks are coming from.

 
At 01 August, 2006 03:54, Blogger K~ said...

Green~
You know that I rarely post because we disagree on a lot of things but this time you are pretty much on the money (minus the Christian tangents of course--but that's an opinion so you can run with it :) )

In watching and reading I do believe the IDF is using heat seeking technology to locate where weapons are fired from. That's how they were aiming. Not just random firing as the other side was doing.

This state(MI) in particular has a vested interest in what happens in world events on that side of the world just because of the population density of both sides. (yes there have been protests and parades on both sides).

It's time for the UN to grow some balls and buffer this area around Israel. But I don't have much faith in the UN.After all wasn't Israel created by the UN???

It's religious, it's a mission that the state/country of Israel should not exist.

This turmoil will go on for years I'm afraid. With no real end in sight until it's recognized by the Arab countries that Israel has the right to exist.

 
At 01 August, 2006 05:59, Blogger DaBich said...

I'm with Green on this one. Israel so has the right to exist, and damnit, if a country is gonna bomb me, you'd better believe they're gonna get it back. War crimes? You betcha, but don't start what you can't finish.

 
At 01 August, 2006 06:49, Blogger American Guy said...

fair point d - except that israel threw the first stone.

Hezbollah captured (remember, captured, not killed) two israeli soldiers, so israel responded by firing missiles.

So your argument that 'if they hit me I'll hit back' could really be just as easily (and I'd argue more accurately) used by hezbollah.

Israel has the right to exist. But so does lebanon and so does palestine.

 
At 01 August, 2006 07:42, Blogger DaBich said...

Maybe H didn't fire first, but they provoked it.
They shouldn't start what they can't finish.

 
At 01 August, 2006 13:03, Blogger K~ said...

An American in Melbourne said...
fair point d - except that israel threw the first stone.

Hezbollah captured (remember, captured, not killed) two israeli soldiers, so israel responded by firing missiles.

So your argument that 'if they hit me I'll hit back' could really be just as easily (and I'd argue more accurately) used by hezbollah.

Israel has the right to exist. But so does lebanon and so does palestine.

K~ responds:

Alrighty,
First Hezbollah went into Israel and took their soliders we (the rest of the world) don't have any idea whether they are are alive or dead. I would hope the former but fear the latter at this point.

Least we forget that Hezbollah is a terrorist group. Who are dominating in Southern Lebanon.
Lebanon's mistake was allowing Hezbollah to become a political party.

I'm not arguing that Lebanon and Palestine shouldn't exist. Where does this come from??? Me saying the UN needs to be a buffer doesn't imply these countries shouldn't exist.

I have friends on both sides of the issue and listening to them having equally as passioned arguments about both sides.


And Hezbollah could easily give Israel their soliders back now couldn't they??? Then this possibly might end--for now until the next episode.

I guess my conclusion is it's such a waste of humananity for this cycle to go on and on and on and on.

 
At 01 August, 2006 14:19, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey Green! Would you mind stopping by my site when you get a chance? I just put up a time sensitive post about my upcoming missions trip to Jamaica in regards to fundraising and prayer support.

Thank you so much, and may God bless you today!!

~Stephanie

 
At 01 August, 2006 15:06, Blogger Kayla said...

Hot topic, Green..I admire your stance, and agree with you.

 
At 01 August, 2006 21:55, Blogger Tim said...

k~: I appreciate your comments and I agree when you say that

"This turmoil will go on for years I'm afraid. With no real end in sight until it's recognized by the Arab countries that Israel has the right to exist."

and

"I guess my conclusion is it's such a waste of humananity for this cycle to go on and on and on and on."

Unfortunately I don't see the former happening and the latter as you say will continue.

dabich: you go girl!!

kayla: thanks. I felt it needed to be said and I'm glad you agree.

 
At 03 August, 2006 10:16, Blogger Kristi B. said...

Israel. You explained it pretty good, so I won't attempt to repeat.

 
At 03 August, 2006 19:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess you haven't visited my blog since like JUNE! You've been tagged.

 
At 18 August, 2006 23:19, Blogger G said...

Green: I came here as the crow flies threw dabich's place. It is refreshing to find support of Israel anywhere in the blogs. Quite frankly, it is few and far between. As a Jew, I support Israel and am thankful for its existence every day. Hezbollah knew exactly what would occur once they captured the soldies who up to this writing have still not been returned and we have a cease fire?

It's hard to hold out hope for a meaningful peace, but we must. Although Golda Meir said it best that "We will have peace when the Arabs love their own children more than they want to destroy us."

A very well put thought out post.

 
At 19 August, 2006 00:08, Blogger Tim said...

g: first of all, welcome to my blog and thanks for leaving a comment. New readers and commenters are always welcome. I hope you will make this a regular stop on your journey through bloggerland.

You ought to know that I've always been a supporter of Israel but especially so since I toured the whole country, from the Lebanese border all the way down into the Negev and most every place in between waay back in 1996. What a beautiful country. Israel truly is God's country and, I believe, that I could feel His presence there, especially in the marvelous city of Jerusalem. To this day it's the best vacation I've ever taken and you know what? Despite all of the terrorism and problems with it's Arab neighbors, I'd go back and visit again - in a heartbeat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home