"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, July 17, 2006

Weekend Update

It was probably the worst possible weekend to voluntarily be stuck in a car for six hours two days in a row, considering how hot and humid it has been all over the northeast in the last few days.

That being said, all in all it was a good trip to New Jersey and back. It was nice seeing my grandfather again for the first time in two years. And it may be the last time I do. His last illness, sometime earlier this year - whatever it was, really did a number on him. He's now thin as a rail and lucky to weigh 80 pounds soaking wet. He is now permanently in a wheelchair and can no longer do many of the things that he used to be able to do on his own, even things he could do just a few months ago.

Seeing how frail he now is and knowing how he once was is very sad. Granted, growing old is presently a part of the human condition but it sure can be a bummer. I have a strong suspicion that whatever illness he catches next - even a simple cold - will be his end. I really don't think he has the immune system left to deal with anything. So I expect that he will not last the year.

If we aren't forced to go down earlier because of his funeral, the next opportunity I will have to see him is in September sometime. So I'll now go as often as I can with my parents to see him, not knowing when it shall be the last time.

We arrived in Asbury Park at 12:04 and promptly had lunch at a Perkins restaurant within walking distance of the nursing home where my grandfather lives. By 13:00 we were visiting with him and we stayed there talking to him for three hours. He now speaks just above a mumble for the most part and often will be in the middle of saying something and then just stop in the middle of it. When I told him who I was, he kept calling me by my brother A's name. So I would correct him and he looked as if he were mad at himself for not remembering my name. Then a few minutes later he would call me A again. Oh well. One of the goals I had when talking to him was to purposefully ask him questions about things from his past, to make him think and to see how good his long term memory is. His short term memory is next to nothing. The picture below was taken on Saturday, as we sat on the portico of the nursing home enjoying the summer breeze.


A bonus for me was that I got to see an Aunt & Uncle (my grandfather's namesake) that I had not seen since my grandmother's funeral in 2001. They called my dad's cell phone from the road on Saturday and told him when they would be arriving. So we arranged for all of us to meet for breakfast at Perkins on Sunday morning before heading over to the nursing home once more. This time my parents and I only stayed for about 90 minutes, knowing we had a long drive ahead. Though we left my grandfather in the capable hands of his oldest son and daughter in law, who had driven up from their home in Florida.

On our way out of the building we briefly ran into one of my other grandmother's best friends, who lives in the same nursing home as my grandfather. This rather short woman appears as a typical senior citizen. This woman is quite remarkable, looking quite healthy, having her wits about her and being able to walk rather well (even while using a walker) at the stout age of 102. Yes, she proudly announced her birthday to us as July 5, 1904. Amazing it is how everyone ages differently and not always well.

The drive home was uneventful, and I finally arrived back at my apartment at 18:30 last night.


---

OFF LIMITS

On an unrelated note, any chance or opportunity I might have had with my female co-worker is now gone. Apparently I underestimated the seriousness of her relationship with her boyfriend. She relayed in our morning staff meeting that over the weekend he had proposed to her and she had accepted. She was not wearing the ring yet as there was an issue of a loose diamond on it. But soon enough she will be and apparently it is a very large rock, from what she said. Unfortunate for me, good for her - I suppose.

Quite ironic because I was going to say something to her today along the lines of what was suggested in the comments of last Wednesday's post. Now I shall have to suffer in silence, and just enjoy the friendship that we now have.

2 Comments:

At 18 July, 2006 08:24, Blogger Nunzia said...

that's really hard but i guess you'll treasure those moments...

as for the co-worker sit... keep your chin up! for whatever that's worth.

hope you are fine.

 
At 19 July, 2006 04:15, Blogger DaBich said...

So sorry to hear about your grandfather declining. It's hard to see loved ones go down hill. I remember watching my mother :(

Bummer on the co-worker. At least you know now. Better than wondering.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home