"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Picking up right where I left off

I'm talking about riding a bicycle.

Before this morning, I hadn't ridden a bicycle in at least 15 years. But I picked it right back up as if no time had passed. It took me about 25 minutes to get to and from work today. I'll be riding the bike to and from work for the rest of the week, provided the weather remains free of rain. There were very few cars on my route this morning and considerably more traffic on the ride home.

I did learn a few things from my morning ride, however:

It's amazing how much we take our cars for granted. Even a crap car like the Neon looks good when there is no alternative. I miss my car.

I am wonderfully and woefully out of shape for a lean, thin guy. My legs were a bit tired after my morning ride, not being used to getting all that much excersise so early in the morning. The ride was very refreshing though and I recovered quickly.

I didn't realize how much 've missed owning and riding a bike. This is a situation I'll need to rectify at some point soon. Nashua does have some decent bike trails, or so I understand.

3 Comments:

At 23 August, 2006 05:47, Blogger DaBich said...

Good things come of bad situations. Add a new Saturday morning routine to your list of things to do :)

 
At 23 August, 2006 17:09, Blogger American Guy said...

or, you know, a daily routine.

You gotta get to work anyways, why not get your exercise while you're doing so?

Sure, buy yourself a car, you probably will want to drive for longer trips, and what with the transfer of kids from one house to another in different cities, and the cold winters, I'll concede that it's probably impractical for you not to have one.

But why not ride to work every day (especially now that i know you live so close - you used to make out that it was too long a trip, but 3 miles??), or at least a few days a week in the warmer weather?

When you look at what you'll save on fuel, a new bike will pay for itself very quickly (i figured that my bike paid for itself in 6 months - every day since then, I've been in effect earning money from it). And of course less wear and tear on your car means that it stays better longer, which means fewer trips to the mechanic.

Just think, even if you'd only riden to work a few times before the latest car dying episode, the car would have lasted longer, and got you to the interview, and maybe into a new (better) job.

Or, just ignore this and buy yourself that new suv and then complain how expensive the (heavily subsidised) fuel is.

 
At 23 August, 2006 20:25, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: I know something good will come of it.

AG: I've never made out that I had a long ride to and from work. What I have said is that many nights after work I do errands in North Nashua and some surrounding towns. Only having a bicycle at my disposal after work would be inconvenient on most days.

I understand the values of excersise and saving fuel for cost/environmental reasons.

No matter which vehicle I buy I'll still occasionally complain about fuel prices. Afterall, Americans are very good at complaining whether its wholly justified or not. I am no exception, and neither are you.

AND regarding your reaction, either way I wanted to see how it'd be, since you've complained about my complaining about fuel prices and how much gas costs in Oz.

Nad you've repeatedly stated all of the virtues of riding a bike, notwithstanding your incident with the careless SUV driver.

So I suppose you're against pickup trucks and large luxury cars with gas guzzling eight cylinder engines...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home