"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, May 25, 2007

Penny pinching at the pump

So it's time for my occasional rant about gas prices.

This Memorial Day weekend kicks off the unofficial start to the summer driving season. Gas prices have been on the upswing since January. I recall filling my tank one time in January at a station in Goffstown, New Hampshire for $2.01/gallon. At the time that irked me, because 500 yards down the road there was another station selling at $1.99/gallon. Now prices here are averaging over $3, close to a 50% increase. The last time I filled my tank I paid $2.91.

I understand the ebbs and tides of economics and supply vs. demand but this is crazy. It's sad when you have a fuel efficient vehicle and you still pay close to $30 for a fill-up.

One thing I've learned and always try to do is keep an eye on the gas gauge and never let it get lower than 1/4 of a tank.

A news report I saw on television last night gave a few hints on how to get the most gas mileage per fill.

a) make sure the tires are filled to the proper air pressure level.
b) make sure that you check and change the oil in your engine regularly.

I think there may have been a few more but that's all I can remember right now.

Two stories dealing with the gas price increases are here and here.

---

Just thought I'd let you know that my grandfather would have been 98 today, were he still among the living. Still thinking about you, grandpa. See you someday.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 25 May, 2007 13:54, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

MY antique Toyota has a 7 gallon engine and 20 bucks just gave me half a tank!!!

 
At 25 May, 2007 16:18, Blogger JLee said...

I'm investing in a horse...haha
Damn oil people...

 
At 26 May, 2007 02:05, Blogger American Guy said...

here's another tip to cut down on the money you spend on fuel: drive less.

but you knew I'd say that.

 
At 26 May, 2007 13:21, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I am driving less!!!

 
At 26 May, 2007 21:16, Blogger Tim said...

actually, with the lack of work and therefore income, I am driving less. However when filling up is necessary (and it does happen), it still kills the wallet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home