"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving 2007

Whatever the actual history of the first Thanksgiving is or is not is not really that important to me. What Thanksgiving means to me is to be thankful for the overall good fortune in my life and all of the blessings God has bestowed upon me in my 38+ years of living.

Psalm 95 (NKJV)
A Call to Worship and Obedience


1 Oh come, let us sing to the LORD!
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.

2 Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving;
Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms.

3 For the LORD is the great God,
And the great King above all gods.

4 In His hand are the deep places of the earth;
The heights of the hills are His also.

5 The sea is His, for He made it;
And His hands formed the dry land.

6 Oh come, let us worship and bow down;
Let us kneel before the LORD our Maker.

7 For He is our God,
And we are the people of His pasture,
And the sheep of His hand.


V, M and I had an excellent Thanksgiving. It was a truly leisurely day. We had the traditional turkey with stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, corn, asparagus, and dinner rolls. To top it off we had the choice of blueberry or pumpkin pie with whipped cream.

Sitting at the table here were my parents, my brother A, younger sister C, my nephew D, V, M and myself.

It took my mom all day to prepare the meal and all of 30 minutes for us to devour
it. That turkey was so good that it all but melted in the mouth. Mmmmm.


--------


Here's a dumb Thanksgiving joke that I saw on a sign in Nashua this week:


Why did the policeman arrest the turkey?












Because the turkey was suspected of fowl play....


----------


Did you all have a relaxing Thanksgiving?

What did you do? Did you spend it with family or friends?

Did you have the traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner?

Did you take a tryptophan induced nap?

Did you watch some NFL football on television?

Do you have Friday off or do you have to go back to work?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 23 November, 2007 01:24, Blogger Kayla said...

Hi Green,
We had Thanksgiving at my oldest brother's house. We had ham..none of the kids like turkey. We had escalloped potatoes, homemade macaroni and cheese, homemade angel biscuits, steamed broccoli, lettuce salad, fruit salad, tomato/havarti cheese casserole, sweet potato pie, and pound cake with caramel icing.
Man, am I ever STILL full...we ate around 4 pm.
All of my nieces and nephews were there except my family in OK.
My brother asked me to say the prayer..I was glad to.

 
At 23 November, 2007 06:53, Blogger DaBich said...

Hey Green, glad you enjoyed your day. I cooked at home for myself, hubby, daughter A and her boyfriend, M, and stepson, V. Turkey, sweet potatoes, stuffing balls, corn, brussels sprouts, and cranberry sauce. Dessert was....CHEESECAKE! I must say, I make the best darn cheesecake lol. A leisurely day enjoyed by us all, and yes I am off today with pay! =D

 
At 23 November, 2007 10:32, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy T Day, Good times down here in PA. Went to my sisters, had dinner with her and her hubby, 2 daughters and son in law, and the newest addition to the fam, little T. My son and his friend from CT were there as well as my brother who now lives 15 minutes from me. The menu was most excellent. My sister happens to be a wonderful cook and baker. We did the turkey, mom's traditional stuffing, mashed taters, all veggies were steamed and of course there were sweet taters and cranberry bread.

Dessert was homemade apple, pumpkin or pumpkin cheesecake. Can you believe I actually said no to dessert!

Its been great having the son here and having today off. Now I'm off to find someone to fix my car!

 
At 23 November, 2007 14:23, Blogger EstherNow said...

Kayla, DB, and Bluez: I'm blown away by the variety of Thanksgiving choices in your menus! All the dishes sound wonderful!

Bluez: Can I get that recipe for Cranberry Bread?

Kayla: Can I get the recipe for the Tomato/Havarti Cheese Casserole?

DB: How about that "Best Darn" Cheesecake Recipe of yours? Come on. Share the love!

Green: As you know in general, I had a wonderful Thanksgiving including AWESOME food, company, and board/card games with Fondue Princess and her family and additional friends! Besides FP, her husband, her soon-to-be-born baby, FP's Mom and Dad, FP's husband's grandmother, FP's dear friend/former college professor S, FP's brother K, and me!

FP's father loves to cook, and he is a phenomenal cook and baker. Besides the traditional items, he loves trying new recipes. Last year, he made a Grits Pie recipe which I fell so in love with that I made about 12 by Christmas time for my fellow English Department. They loved it too! It was soooooooo easy. The recipe is a Paula Dean (Food Network Host) Southern original. If you all want the recipe, let me know! It is so easy, it is practically silly! Tee-Hee.

Here is the detail on the menu, and what a menu it was (!!):
** Traditional Turkey (Brined for 10 hours by FP's Dad - That means it soaked in salt water for that long to make the whole turkey tender. This was news to me. You learn something new everyday!)
** Stuffing/Dressing made with Sausage and Cranberries (Yum!)
** Green Bean Casserole
** Sweet Potato Casserole with Browned Marshmallows
** Mashed Potatoes
** Gravy
** Cranberry Salad
** Jellied Cranberry
** Big Fluffy Rolls
** Broccoli Cheese Casserole
** Corn Pudding (Awesome!)
** Ambrosia Salad (fruit, coconut, marshmallows, etc.)
** Berry Medoly
** Soda Salad with Fruit
** Three variations of Pumpkin Pie including a Pumpkin Cream Whip and two beautifully made traditionals
** Banana Pudding
** Fondant Wrapped White and Orange Cake with White Cream Filling (Another Yum!)
** Sugar Cookies
** Assorted fruit, nuts, cheeses, veggies and dip, cream cheese dips, salsas, chips, and Chex Mix!

To say the spread was amazing is an understatement!

I'm just plain happy writing about it! I might have to copy this over to my blog because I'm so happy writing about it. I'm also salivating all over again!

God is so very good!

 
At 23 November, 2007 15:36, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Did you all have a relaxing Thanksgiving? NO it was tense and uncomfortable as hell.

What did you do? Did you spend it with family or friends? neither.

Did you have the traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner? Sadly, yes. I hate turkey

Did you take a tryptophan induced nap? Nope, never have.

Did you watch some NFL football on television?In my peripheral vision

Do you have Friday off or do you have to go back to work? Worked on Thanksgiving for a few hours and Friday. Expect gifts from all the extra holiday pay!!!

 
At 25 November, 2007 19:07, Blogger DaBich said...

I'll post the cheesecake recipe on Bluez' recipe site...it's not low fat, but it's GREAT!

 
At 25 November, 2007 23:22, Blogger EE said...

Love the turkey joke!!
We had a traditional T. meal with my husband's family. We only had to drive 30 minutes...for that I am truly thankful!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home