"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Fort Sumter. Charleston, South Carolina

I know, I know.

Esther has been telling me for a few weeks that I ought to post some pictures of my latest visit to South Carolina.

So here they are. I'm not posting all of them, but just enough to give you an idea of what we did.

The day after Christmas is Esther's birthday and she thought it would be nice to show me some of Charleston. Since I had never been, I thought it was a fabulous idea.

Being that the Civil War is one of my favorite eras in US history, one of the places I always wanted to visit was Fort Sumter, out in Charleston Harbor. This is where the first shots of the Civil War were aimed, so that was our first tourist-y destination of the day.




These two pictures above show the approach to Sumter as you get off the ferry and onto the dock leading to the old fort.



Here's the official sign outside the entrance.



Inside the fort stands this monument, dedicated to Union Major Robert Anderson and his garrison, who were defending the fort against occupation by Confederate troops.



One of the cannon used at the fort.



Inside the walls of Sumter, near what used to be an opening for one cannon to shoot from. Sumter's exterior walls are lined with similar openings.



Another pic of me inside the walls of Sumter.

I really enjoyed visiting Fort Sumter. Aside from the cold, brisk wind, the main thing I didn't like was the amount of time that the ferry company gave to see everything at the Fort, which was only one hour. What dragged the time down was waiting for everyone to get off of the ferry and into the fort, so the Park Ranger could give his little presentation. Once that was done we only had about 30 minutes to see the rest of the fort. Of course we could have caught the next ferry but that would have meant three hours on the island instead of just one. I think allowing two hours on the grounds would have been just right. I despise being rushed and I definitely felt like I was rushed. Especially considering the cost of the ferry per person. Not cheap, I'll tell you.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10 January, 2008 19:57, Blogger EstherNow said...

Great, Green! You finally posted the pictures of you on Fort Sumter! They look really good. I imagine you'll get several comments on them.

I joked with Green that he brought the cold weather with him again to my part of the world. The last time he visited it was unusually cold and wet. He returns again, and what happens? It turns frigid. Frigid I tell you!

Brrrr. . .

Now, though, it has been a balmy 75 in the middle of January. Yes, this is warmer than usual for January, but I'll take it. It feels like Spring now, and that means. . .

MORE BEACH TIME!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home