"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

absentmindedness & procrastination

Do absentmindedness and procrastination go hand-in-hand?

Soemtimes I think so because most of the time I am both.

I got a call on my cell phone yesterday. It was a local number with the 603 New Hampshire area code but not one I recognized. Generally, unless it's a person I know whose number is stored in my phone's memory or unless I'm expecting a call, I will not answer the phone and let it go to voicemail. I missed this call but returned a call back to the same number, asking where I was calling.

Turns out it was the photo department at Wal-Mart in Hudson looking for me because I had brought in a roll of film (actually one of those disposable cameras) for developing and forgot to pick it up. The date on the envelope when I brought it in was October 22, 2005, and they were getting ready to throw it out, since it had been almost three months ago that I brought it in. In fairness to me, that was a few days after I had been diagnosed with the kidney stone, at the ER and by the urologist/surgeon/torture master/evil grin guy. And I was in pain.

Good thing for me they didn't. The pictures were (in reverse order) my son M's 6th birthday party and many shots of V and M swimming in the pool here at the apartment. They took some of me, too. The first few pictures on the roll were taken at Logan Airport the night I was supposed to meet "the woman" from Russia. Eerie foreshadowing that both pictures came out waaay to dark to be of any use. Same as her, but I'm not bitter. Really. I'm over it.

Anyway they were nice pictures.

----

I have a meeting tomorrow evening at 5 with the company that I hired to rework my resume & get me focused on the "career search." This is my second meeting with them since I went back there at the end of December. This is the meeting that was supposed to take place last week, in part becasue I was sick and in part because I didn't do the homework assignment. (I reallly was sick...still am to some degree)

So I did the homework assignment tonight, while still procrastinating as long as I could manage. Constant Rain helped me out with that with a nice IM conversation. Thanks Constant!

The "assignment" wasn't hard or really difficult. I just didn't want to do it because I hate looking for work, as I've said before, even when I'm still employed... But it's done now and that's a good thing. I probably could have finished it in 30 minutes or so. Procrastinators like to drag things out. Things that we want to put off/avoid, etc. are easy targets.

----

Today's word was: aftertale, which means a postscript.

--Herbert Coleridge's Dictionary of the Oldest Words in the English Language, 1863

Kind of lame, I know but there is a cool story that follows:

Beginning of Britain's Penny Post
W. & R. Chambers' Book of Days (1864) trumpeted the commencement of mail service in England on this date in 1840 as "a memorable day in the history of civilization." Just a year after the Penny Post began, English clergyman Sydney Smithfelt compelled to admit in a letter, "Correspondences are like smallclothes before the invention of suspenders - it is impossible to keep them up." Eighty years before the inception of the Penny Post, lexicographer Samuel Johnson commented sternly: "A short letter to a distant friend is, in my opinion, an insult like that of a slight bow or cursory salutation - a proof of unwillingness to do much, even when there is a necessity of doing something." But as his life drew to a close, he seemed to have relaxed that stance. "An odd thought strikes me," he confided to his friend and biographer, James Boswell. "We shall receive no letters in the grave."

If only he could have forseen the sound bite or the short email we find so common today. Sometimes if it weren't for short messages, none would get sent at all, I'd bet. I know I wouldn't be sending them. Then again, they didn't have computers, internet, cable television, radios, or even telephones (invented in 1876, I believe), so folks must have had a lot more time to write nice long handwritten letters. So I appreciate being able to sit here at my desk and relay my ideas and thoughts to you at home, however short they might be - to wherever you might be.

9 Comments:

At 11 January, 2006 05:48, Blogger DaBich said...

I was wondering how the job search was going. Good luck with the meeting. I hope they hook you up with something soon!
The word of the day is kewl. Keep 'em coming!

 
At 11 January, 2006 09:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna hear the story about the women from Russia!

 
At 11 January, 2006 12:00, Blogger DaBich said...

Makes two of us...

 
At 11 January, 2006 19:13, Blogger Deb said...

Interesting that you answered that call when the photo dept called. I'm glad you got those important pictures developed.

In any case---I'm guilty of those 'short emails' sometimes, simply because it's either way too hectic here or there's not much to say. Maybe I'm a bad friend...who knows.

Great post!

 
At 11 January, 2006 20:30, Blogger American Guy said...

that's so wierd, i just a couple of days ago was thinking about 'the woman' and went back and reread some of your ealier posts. (see everyone - I knew green before he was famous! :) )

 
At 11 January, 2006 21:20, Blogger Tim said...

dabich: the job search is going. Where it is going, I don't know.

dabich & bluez: it's just one woman. If you want to know anbout her, feel free to peruse my archives, specifically June & July & you'll find out all you need to know...

~deb: me too. priceless photos.
I'm also guilty of the short emails myself. Short emails or none. I think you hit it right - things are always hectic - so there is never enough time for things like lengthy letters.

ag: famous. yeah, a legend in my own mind...

 
At 12 January, 2006 11:49, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so I went all the way back to June, got to the part where she wasn't on the plane, tried to scam you into more money but you caught her and told her YOU would come there.....what happened after that? Did you never hear from her again ?

 
At 12 January, 2006 22:46, Blogger Tim said...

bluez: the tale of "the woman" concludes with my July posts. Including a nice picture gallery to round out the month.

 
At 13 January, 2006 17:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I didn't read far enough back. I think it sucks people do that to others and take advantage. Its too bad you couldn't have caught her and gotten her busted. Slimebag that she is...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home