"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, April 22, 2006

SNMR 1.6: "The Outsiders"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Outsiders" (1983, PG-13, 113 minutes) starring C. Thoms Howell, Matt Dillon, Diane Lane, Ralph Macchio, Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise and Leif Garrett. The film was directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

I first saw this movie in the theater when it came out because we were reading the novel in my 8th grade English class. My teacher, Mrs. Rancourt, thought it would be a great idea to take all of her English classes on a field trip to see it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have.

I probably haven't watched this movie in about 20 years or so and I am amazed at how touching the story is and how the cast of this movie is the 80's version of "American Graffiti" since the majority of the cast in each of these films have gone on to well known careers.

The story sort of reminds me of "American Graffiti," too - though I haven't seen that film in a long time - and a non-musical version of "West Side Story."

From two versions of the DVD's dust jacket:

"In 1966 Tulsa, teenagers come two ways. If your a "soc,"you've got money, cars, a future. But if you're a "greaser," you're an outsider with only your friends... and a dream that someday you'll finally belong.

Frances Coppola's powerful film of S.E. Hinton's classic novel captures how it feels to be caught between childhood's innocence and adulthood's disillusionment. The ensemble is a who's who of young talents of the past two decades... Movingly and in an intensely visual style, Coppola has made these street rats and their struggle heroic and unforgettable."

"In 1983, Francis Ford Coppola's film of S.E. Hinton's novel struck a powerful chord with audiences, capturing the intense feelings of being caught between childhoood and adulthood, and not belonging anywhere. Decades later, Coppola has revisited the film and reintegrated 22 minutes of charachter enriching footage, including a new beginning and ending more true to the book. A rousing new soundtrack featuring six songs from Elvis Presley and other music greats make this new version of "The Outsiders" one of movie history's great rediscoveries."


While the acting performances in this film aren't great, the story is still powerful and relevant. There are some memorable lines in the movie, like "Let's do it for Johnny! Let's do it for Johnny, man!!" The adaptation from book to the screen, is pretty faithful from what I can remember from reading the book, so many years ago. Overall, I liked this drama because I've basically grown up alongside the actors, watching their careers progress. This film is a worthy rental, especially if you grew up in the mid 1960's. I'll give this film three and a half out of five stars.

4 Comments:

At 23 April, 2006 00:43, Blogger Ruth said...

I had to memorize that Stay Gold poem by Robert Frost that's in the book & the film when I was 10 or so. I love seeing that movie b/c of all those baby faced young actors - seeing Diane Lane & the others as teenagers makes it worth the reviewing.

 
At 23 April, 2006 15:01, Blogger Bryan said...

Oh yes, I enjoyed the film when I first saw it many years ago. And being from the Tulsa area myself, it has special significance. If fact, I knew personally one of the characters the writer based his story upon. Yes, the film is based upon actual characters.

 
At 24 April, 2006 08:00, Blogger DaBich said...

AHh...it's been AGES since I saw this, but I remember how much I loved it!!

 
At 24 April, 2006 17:24, Blogger Tim said...

sarafina: I agree. seeing such a young, baby faced cast makes this movie interesting.

levi: firstly, welcome to my blog and thanks for commenting.
I think I remember my English teacher mentioning something about that in class, but can't be 100% sure of that. I think S.E. Hinton is a woman and wrote her name that way for publishing reasons.

tink: thanks for stopping by. It's been a while since you've commented here. I thought the book was good, too. Mot of the time the book is better than the movie version.

dabich: same for me. Good film overall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home