"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, June 12, 2006

Aren't they cute?

Yesterday, V, M and I walked to the park close to my apartment. We spent about an hour there and the kids got a chance to run around a bit. When we first arrived, there were a lot of people just milling around in the parking lot, which we had to walk through lengthwise to get to the playground area. We wondered what all the commotion was about.

As it turned out, all of the attention was focused on these two critters whose mother was nowhere to be found. Since cars driving down the road parallel to the park travel between 35-50 mph, the consensus was that momma got run over by a car, even though there was no evidence of roadkill nearby. So one woman stood between the 'coons and the road, following them but not getting too close, while her boyfriend called animal rescue and found an empty cardboard box.

We stood by and watched as one 'coon temporarily got his head stuck in the fence, and followed as the 'coons eventually made it to the woods bordering the park. V and M wanted to get real close but I warned them to keep their distance. Even though the babies were cute, they are still wild animals and can bite or scratch in defense if threatened.

After a while V and M went off to play on the swings and such, while I took a seat at a nearby picnic table to watch them and read a book. As far as I know, the 'coons were not removed from the woods and animal rescue didn't come in time to get them. Hopefully these raccoons are old enough to survive without their mother.

6 Comments:

At 12 June, 2006 20:04, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

you know what? I GUESS they're cute, but I try to run them voer every chance I get!

 
At 12 June, 2006 21:55, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

I often see raccoons rustling in trash dumpsters in the back alleyway. With all the cemetaries nearby, they're always scampering about. I guess they're cute until they grow up and get mean.

 
At 13 June, 2006 05:48, Blogger DaBich said...

Scribe :thwap: You're terrible lol

Green, I had one in my back yard (a coon) last fall. I have two bassett hounds and my stepsons's pit bull was here too, and they saw it. I screamed for my hubby to come quick. I didn't want any of them to get bitten, you never know about rabies. But Lord, I have to admit it was adorable. I think I scared the crap out of it, it high tailed it into the woods!

 
At 13 June, 2006 06:57, Blogger SzélsőFa said...

We don't have racoons over here, so let me aks you a few humble questions:
1.)aren't they a protected species?
2.)how is it that dogs can not catch racoons? Is it due to the difference in size or to that the dogs were afraid, too?
3.)Aren't the dogs vaccinated against rabies? It's compulsory here I'm just wondering...
Thanks!

 
At 14 June, 2006 18:39, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Raccoons are not protected, they are considered vermin and there are plenty of them.

 
At 15 June, 2006 05:13, Blogger SzélsőFa said...

Thanks scribe - that's what I tought would outcome, but I was just curious.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home