"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, August 05, 2006

SNMR 1.26: "Kingdom of Heaven"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Kingdom of Heaven" (2005, R, 144 minutes), starring Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson, David Thewlis, Nathalie Cox, Eve Green, Edward Norton, Michael Sheen, Jeremy Irons and Jouko Ahola. The film was directed by Ridley Scott.

This is one of those DVD's that I bought when it first came out because it looked good but have never gotten around to watching it until tonight. I've had it in the queue to review for quite some time, but have been putting it off for other movies. I think I bought it primarily because of Orlando Bloom, who I liked in the LOTR trilogy and Pirates of the Carribbean films.

From the DVD's dust jacket:

From Ridley Scott, director of Gladiator and Black Hawk Down, comes a thrilling, action-packed epic of honor, passion and courage that "explodes with adventure" (Chicago Tribune). Orlando Bloom heads an all-star cast in this sweeping tale about a young knight during the Crusades who must battle overwhelming forces to save his people and fulfill his true destiny.

From Martin & Porter's DVD and Video Guide 2006, p. 614:
In twelfth century France, a blacksmith (Orlando Bloom) makes a pilgrimage to the Holy Land to expiate his sins, rising to the rank of knight and leading the defense of Jerusalem against the Muslim leader Saladin. Director Ridley Scott gives the film a beautiful look and impressive battle scenes but the script is weak and drawn out. Bloom lacks the presence to carry a movie this size.


I thought this movie was okay. Not great but not horrible either. I agree with Martin & Porter that the script was on the weak side, primarily because it was too drawn out. The battle scenes were excellent but not enough to counter the lull during the slow sections of the film. Rent this if you like or wait for the movie to play out on cable television. I'll give this film two out of five stars.

1 Comments:

At 06 August, 2006 16:13, Blogger Kayla said...

I saw this movie in the theater when it first came out...I was totally revved up to see another great film along Christian lines, and UGH...sorely disappointed :-(
I probably had my expectations too high, it was just okay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home