"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Open houses and paperwork

Last night I had an opportunity to attend the open house at V and M's school. I met them at the school just before 18:00.

We went to M's classroom first and were one of the first people in the room. After M showed us his desk and introduced us to his teacher he and some of the other kids brought out some puzzles and were playing on the floor at one end of the room. Once more parents arrived, the teacher gave a little talk, telling us about herself and what the students will be doing this year. There are only 16 students in his class, which teacher said is a wonderful ratio for the children to get more personal attention. She seems to be a really good teacher and says all of the kids are extremely polite and doing well for the first two and a half weeks of school. She expects them to have a really good year and predicts a noticeable difference will occur in each between now and the end of June. Half the battle for first graders in the early going is getting used to the routine of being in school for a full day. I have no fear about M being able to handle it as he went both to kindergarten and part time day care last year, because he was bored at home without big sister there to play with/annoy.

Then we went downstairs to V's classroom. Her teacher didn't give any presentation, just talked to parents one on one as they approached her. V introduced us to the teacher as part of an open house scavenger hunt that she had the kids in her class do. So V whisked us about her classroom, showing off all of the items on the checklist and checking them off with her pencil as we did them.

All in all it was a good evening.

---

Today I went down to the new employer and turned in some paperwork and was given the training schedule for October. The first day of training is October 17th and lasts for four days. Between now and then I need to buy the book of regulations and schedule the state exam so I can get my license for NH, which I must pass before I can officially start working. Eventually I will also get a similar license for MA so I can work in both states. More details to follow later.

5 Comments:

At 21 September, 2006 23:55, Blogger American Guy said...

Red Alert!

Please please please tell us that you've really done your research here. I just looked at that sentance containing "I need to buy the book" and it set off all sorts of alarm bells. Take it from someone who has worked in the employment sector - any request by a company that you have to PAY money before being allowed to start working for them is seldomly legit. If the book is some nominal amount ($5), maybe. But if it's a significant outlay (and especially if you have to buy it FROM the company that's supposed to be paying you, it just smells of scam.

Also, this 4 day training - is it paid? If it's an honest comany, they should pay you your standard payrate during your attendance at any training they require you to do. I'd be extremely hesitant if they're saying you've got to do it off the clock. And if they want YOU to pay to go to this training, then I'll say just one thing. Run. Turn away from these scammers and don't look back.

You know my views on scams. They work because the scammer has more info than you, and they tell you what you want to hear. And though it may be uncouth to say 'i told you so', i DID try and warn you before when you were falling into a trap.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you may actually have some nagging doubts about this. I'm guessing that's why you're being so coy in not telling us the details. You're worried that someone may try and talk you out of it. Well, you're absolutely right - that's what friends do when they see someone about to get suckered.

Hey, i could be way off base here, and if history is any guide you're going to ignore my warnings.

Your call - at least I've said my piece.

 
At 22 September, 2006 04:53, Blogger DaBich said...

License? Sounds interesting to me.
Do tell us more, Green, so we can see if it's above board.

 
At 22 September, 2006 11:04, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

License in what? I echo the first two comments.

 
At 23 September, 2006 09:20, Blogger Tim said...

Sorry kids- the only reason why I'm being cryptic so far is because I have not yet informed my family, which I will do today. I've also learned that my sister is one of my readers, though she doesn't comment. And I want to tell them in person rather than have them find out second hand.

 
At 24 September, 2006 04:18, Blogger American Guy said...

ok, email greenie - I'll give you an off the record assessment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home