"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, March 24, 2008

Journey to the philosophical

Two Saturdays ago I picked up V and M at the Tae Kwon Do studio after they were finished testing for their (green belt with) blue stripe. I got there at 10:10 and they were done at 11:30. The TKD master, at the end of the testing session, talked for a few minutes about what TKD has meant to him over the last 50 years, what he's learned from it and what kind of an impact it can have on a student's (kids and adults, men and women of various belt levels) life if they keep up with it.

As I was listening to his speech, he ended with a very thought provoking question. He said that life is a journey in which we all travel, which everyone present seemed to be in agreement with. He then asked: "Does the journey make the person or does the person make the journey?"

What I think he was getting at is simple, yet does not yield a simple answer.

I understood his question more on a personal level, as if he was asking me if I let events in my life shape me or do I shape the events in my life?

Right now, I have no good answer for this question. At least not an answer I'm satisfied with or willing to share right now. Maybe I will at some point but not yet, anyway. I need to turn the question around in my head a bit more, I think.

So I will toss the question back at you, dear reader. How would you answer the question?

In this life, does your journey make you or do you make your journey?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 24 March, 2008 15:11, Blogger EstherNow said...

In answer to your question, here is my two-cents' worth ((although I think this examination could still be evolving as well):

I think a balance of both being open to the journey that has befallen and still lies before us and a sculpting ("making") of our journey is necessary. I think it all hinges on a positive attitude.

It is often said that "Perception is reality." Does a person look at his or her past or present circumstances with a negative slant and "make" his or her journey bitter? Vice-versa.

The TKD instructor's question could also be answered in view of another form of "Nature vs. Nurture." On one level (as children) we are not in control of nor do we "make" the journey for ourselves. This part of the journey does "make" us and our views to a certain extent. We could call this "Nature" - in a non-literal biological way ("biological" in the sense of family history and upbringing).

If we build on this "being made by our journey" part, though, we cannot stay imprisoned by it nor our upbringing or we will remain "children" and "victims" (which happens far too often in this society).

We must move on to "making" our own journey, and I think this HAS to be coupled with and has everything to do with maintaining a positive and grateful attitude. This is what it means to be an adult and grow up. If we stay trapped and say that the journey makes us, then we are forever bound and victimized by every circumstance that befalls us. This leads to a life of victimology and entitlement. This is a life "viewpoint."

Did the "bullies," or unfair things, of our life (whether they were people, socio-economics, upbringing, etc.) make us stronger, or do we continue to stay "stuck" in what was done to us or false perceptions put on us that we don't have to accept? Are we looking for reasons why we CAN make it and succeed, or are we finding every little reason why we can't succeed and coming up with excuses why the "deck" is stacked against us?

I hope that I am making sense.

I really do think it comes down to growing into a positive attitude and overcoming obstacles regardless of the journey that was handed to us in childhood or even in adulthood. I can name numerous examples of cancer survivors, abuse survivors, rags-to-riches stories where a positive attitude made the difference.

I feel strongly about this response, but I also think that this is a "To Be Continued..." piece.

I am thankful right now, because I am able to write this while on a MUCH NEEDED Spring Break at home. Hallejuah! I haven't had time to blog much lately, but I'm just relaxing and chilling at home right now while it is too cool to walk the beach currently.

 
At 24 March, 2008 16:19, Blogger Tim said...

e: excellent answer! Very thougtful and thought provoking. Thanks.

AND to answer your question from another forum, no you indedd have not offended me. Not at all! You should know that I rarely get offended. Seems like you're having trouble receiving my email! Do you still YM?

 
At 01 April, 2008 08:28, Blogger DaBich said...

To put something so complex, simply: BOTH

Our journey in life is shaped by the road we travel.
In traveling this road, we make decisions that decide or change the course of the journey.

A lot depends on our personal characteristics. A more passive person will have less changes, a more agressive person will have more, generally speaking.

Too bad Scribe didn't answer this, I'd have loved to see his response!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home