"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

emotionally invested

I'm done. Finished.

And I'm totally satisfied with the way it ended.

Still, I'm quite sad that it's over and that there is no more anticipation of wondering what's next.

What am I talking about, dare you ask?

Let me give you a [not so subtle, perhaps] hint with two stills from the finale....

You may have noticed over the past two months or so that I've been watching the television series "Friends" on DVD, courtesy of my little sister. I've also kept you updated on my progress throughout over on the sidebar.

I finally finished the last episode of season ten on Monday night. It was so awesome that I watched the last two episodes again on Tuesday night. Then I watched the special features on the fourth disc which were fantastic!

I watched the last two episodes again tonight...for the third time! Actually I've watched the final episode a total of four times because I watched it once on Monday with the producers commentary audio that goes along with it.

You know what? I got all watery-eyed every time. I'm not ashamed to say it. Even after the first go-round, when I knew what was going to happen, I still got all misty eyed.

The producers knew going in that season ten would be the last season of the series and so they were able to cleanly tie up all of the loose ends in the story throughout the eighteen episode final season.

I think there were several reasons why this show lasted for so long and was so popular. First, the cast and crew were extremely talented as evidenced by all of the awards and nominations this show won over the years. Second, there was a great chemistry and camaraderie that developed between the actors in real life and it translated into their performances. Third, the writing was consistently great which is always important. The producers and writers were willing to be flexible with the scripts and change them during filming when scenes weren't working or when a joke wasn't funny enough. Fourth, the majority of the show was filmed before a live studio audience (Wish I could have been there!) which gave even more energy to the actors performances.

Finally and most importantly, this was a show about the relationships between the six friends. These were characters that we watched grow throughout the series. We cared about them and became emotionally invested in the lives of Chandler Bing (Matthew Perry), Monica Geller-Bing (Courtney Cox Arquette), Phoebe Buffay-Hannigan (Lisa Kudrow), Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc), Dr. Ross Geller (David Schwimmer) and Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston).

For me the most compelling story was between Ross and Rachel, not just at the end but throughout the whole series. If you're a true fan of the series, you'll know and understand what I'm getting at here.

I still can't believe that I never once, in 238 episodes over ten seasons, watched any of this series when it was on regular television. Oh what I was missing!

I can definitely tell you that I will, eventually, be adding this series to my DVD collection.

Gee, my birthday's coming up in June, just two short months from now. Kewl for you because now you know what to get me. Talk about advanced planning! Coordinate, people!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

At 24 April, 2008 14:38, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

So who was your favorite character? Mine was Joey, even though he was a big dumdum.

 
At 24 April, 2008 17:20, Blogger Tim said...

pris: The whole cast was brilliant but if I had to choose favorites, I'd pick Rachel and Phoebe.

 
At 24 April, 2008 19:44, Blogger scribe said...

wow.



just.





wow.

 
At 24 April, 2008 22:49, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

I thought Pheebs weirdness was a TAD PREDICTABLE AFTER A FEW SEASONS...yeah Joey and Monica were my favorites. Hey I was going to IM you the other day, are you ever on anymore?

I loved the episode with the lead singer for the Pretenders, damn what's her name, can't remember right now...

 
At 25 April, 2008 06:59, Blogger DaBich said...

Birthday? That means you're gonna be 39!!! Right at the crest of that big ol' mountain ;)

 
At 25 April, 2008 18:22, Blogger Tim said...

scribe: yessiree. wow.

pris: yes, Phoebe's weirdness was a bit predictable. I found Monica's obsessive compulsive anal-retentiveness annoying at times. Each character had their own quirkiness, which is one of the reasons why the writing was so good. Those quirks made the characters more real and relatable, if ya know what I mean.

Yeah, I remember that episode but can't think of her name either.

I haven't had the time much recently for YMing, unfortunately.

d: did you remember from last year's post how old I am (if so, I'm suitably impressed) or did you look it up?

Yep, I'm standing at the edge of the precipice with the big 4-0 exactly 14 months away...

 
At 25 April, 2008 18:50, Blogger ~AprilD said...

Chrissy Hindes (spelling?) is her name. The pretenders lead singer.

I completely forget how the series ended, and I know I watched it!

Oh, and I've been waiting for you to update on BB(insert # here), because the Ryan guy is from a town not even 15 minutes from where I live! I don't ever watch the show, I just found out through the newspaper. Very interesting!

 
At 25 April, 2008 22:52, Blogger Tim said...

autumn: thanks for reminding us of the name of the singer.

Looks like you ought to watch the finale again. Good thing it's available on DVD.

 
At 26 April, 2008 00:08, Blogger EstherNow said...

Wow. Three times? Really??

A lot like, Scribe, you amaze me with your ability to watch something that many times with fresh eyes.

I was always rooting for Ross and Rachel.

 
At 26 April, 2008 00:10, Blogger EstherNow said...

Mentally omit the commas from around Scribe's name, Green. I wasn't addressing him directly.

I'm tired, and I wasn't thinking clearly when I wrote that.

 
At 26 April, 2008 00:12, Blogger EstherNow said...

Sometimes I think I look like a raccoon in the little profile shot that comes up next to comments.

I'm thinking that now.

Free flow of thought is occurring here right now.

 
At 26 April, 2008 10:39, Blogger Tim said...

e: I'm not worried about commas!
Yes, I can watch certain movies, shows etc over and over and not get tired of them, which is why I have so many DVD's.

The final episode was very satisfying primarily because Ross and Rachel got back together. It would have been a serious letdown if they didn't.

Nah, you look nothing like a raccoon!

 
At 28 April, 2008 09:03, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

Thats right Chrissy Hynde, I think she's from Ohio (she was in the smelly cat episode).

My favorite storyline-when Monica and Chandler started seeing each other and they were trying to keep it a secret, Phoebe decided to mess with them and tried to seduce Chandler. The big joke with chandler was everyone thought he was gay the first time they met him, lol.

 
At 29 April, 2008 22:29, Blogger Tim said...

Pris: yeah I remember that. They started dating in London at the end os season five or something like that.

 
At 30 April, 2008 01:29, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

Yeah when Ross was supposed to marry that uptight Amy broad (she was a Brit). But he said "Rachel" at the ceremony like a douche bag and Amy stormed off:) And Monica later admitted she was just looking for a hook up preferably with Joey but it ended up being the Chan Chan Man, lmao. Oh dang, I'm starting to remember it all now!! gah!!

 
At 30 April, 2008 17:42, Blogger Tim said...

pris: more addicted to the show than you thought, eh?

 
At 02 May, 2008 09:36, Blogger pmesquivel333@yahoo.com said...

I watched it when it was on tv-that and Seinfeld-my all time favorite.

I haven't seen an episode of either for years, but it's amazing how it comes back to your remembrance when you think about it, almost as if they were an actual part of your life :) so yeah, I can see how you got emotionally invested...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home