"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, July 05, 2008

SNMR 5.4: "The Italian Job"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Italian Job" (2003, R, 111 minutes), starring Mark Wahlberg, Edward Norton, Charlize Theron, Seth Green, Jason Statham, Mos Def and Donald Sutherland. The film was directed by F. Gary Gray.

PLOT SUMMARY From the DVD's dust case: The plan was flawless. The execution was perfect. Charlie Croker puled off the crime of a lifetime. The one thing he didn't plan on was being double crossed. Now he wants more than the job's payoff... he wants payback. Now, Croker and his team take off to re-steal the loot and end up in a pulse pounding, petal to the metal chase that careens up, down, above and below the streets of Los Angeles.

MY OPINION: When I first borrowed this DVD from the library I wasn't sure what to expect. I borrowed it primarily because Charlize Theron was in it. Even though the library copy was scratched and skipped a lot, I absolutely loved this movie - so much that I bought a copy for myself. Mark Wahlberg has quickly become one of my favorite actors. I've been impressed with his performance in every film that I've seen him in and this film is no exception. The cast overall is superb, with Charlize Theron, Ed Norton, Seth Green, Jason Statham, Mos Def and Donald Sutherland. F. Gary Gray does a great job directing this film. The script is well written, fast paced, filled with action and has wonderfully filmed chase sequences. This film reminds me a lot of Ocean's Eleven - a smart, exciting caper film with a phenomenal ensemble cast. Personally, I can't see the appeal of driving a small death trap-like car like the Mini Cooper, but in this film they definitely are cool.

The special features on the DVD are excellent with five making of-type featurettes each focusing on a different part of the production and some interesting deleted scenes.

I definitely want to check out the original film with Michael Caine and I'm looking forward to seeing the sequel for this film,"The Brazilian Job" (scheduled for 2009 release), since it will have the same director and main cast back for another go-round.

Back to this film: Rent it, buy it, borrow it. Whatever. If you like action flicks, then you need to see this film. Really, you do.

***** out of *****

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 06 July, 2008 08:41, Blogger Just Because 81 said...

I'm not sure I would be excited for a sequel... I LOVED Oceans 11 and have despised 12 and 13. I really enjoyed the Italian Job - can they improve on an already excellent story? Very few sequels can... However am TOTALLY looking forward to the Dark Knight... which reminds me... need a babysitter.

 
At 06 July, 2008 10:42, Blogger Tim said...

you can't improve on a story like this in my opinion. In the sequel I just want to see another well thought out caper flick with more action and chase stuff.

I haven't really gotten into many of the recent Batman spinoff films - yet - but I probably will at some point.

 
At 06 July, 2008 14:52, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved this flick. Ed Norton's character was one of my favorites in this movie. I saw this in the movie theater and it was worth it!

 
At 07 July, 2008 06:58, Blogger DaBich said...

A great movie, we're all in agreement!

 
At 07 July, 2008 19:22, Blogger scribe said...

I dind't care for this one. A victim of voer-acting and over-writing. And I thought the Oceans sequels were great.Not looking forward to the Dark Knight but will see it...probably 8 weeks after it's released like I did with the last one and didn't regret it at all. Batman is too complicated a character for the silver screen and unless Frank Miller does it, the movies will never live up to his legacy.

 
At 08 July, 2008 09:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to see one bad review on "The Dark Knight". I'm taking my kid to see it when she moves back home, like it or not, she's going!

 
At 08 July, 2008 14:03, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I have no doubt Dark Knight is a good movie, i just dont' care about Batman anymore.

 
At 20 July, 2008 23:23, Blogger Tim said...

Well, "Dark Knight" did well at the box office opening weekend. BUT was it because the film itself was excellent or because it is Heath Ledger's last role?

Hmmmm......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home