"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, December 29, 2008

Playing with the big boys now

Every two years I get myself a new movie guide. For the last dozen years or so, Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide was always the one I used, like the one pictured at left. It's a serviceable guide with lots of helpful information and movie blurbs in it. But the small size of the book and number of pages really wears out the binding, especially after two years of regular use and abuse. For some reason I could not find the 2009 edition. I looked in bookstores and on-line with no success.

All for the best, I guess.

I was looking into getting Leonard Maltin's 2009 Movie Guide and his Guide for classic (pre-1960) movies as a replacement, but I wasn't too keen on the format. The listings seem all jammed together; add in a microscopic font size and you've got an un-user friendly guide.

Now, I've found something better. Much better, thanks to a Christmas present from my younger sister C.

This book is The One. It's jumbo sized and thicker than your average phone book, with 1,923 pages. Not only do you have capsule-sized movie summaries, but the book also has Academy Award winners and nominees in every major category, plus cast, director, writer, cinematographer and composer indexes. Oh yeah, it also has an alternate titles index and a categories list so you can find movies with similar subjects.

This is the guide you've gotta get for the movie enthusiast in your life. Trust me on this one.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 01 January, 2009 13:56, Blogger American Guy said...

sounds like the perfect gift for you - what with your love of movies and all. You'll get much enjoyment out of it, I'm sure.

In other news, happy '09

 

Post a Comment

<< Home