"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, October 09, 2005

Tough day for Atlanta Falcons & Braves



As a long suffering Boston sports fan (until recently) I can sympathize with fans of Atlanta teams today. Two tough losses.

First off, my New England Patriots squeaked out a tough road win against an excellent Atlanta Falcons team, 31-28. Adam Vinatieri, the Patriots placekicker made his 19th career game winning kick today. Talk about Mr. Clutch - when the game is on the line there's no better kicker than #4.

Now I just looked a few minutes ago and the Atlanta Braves v. Houston Astros playoff game has gone final after 18 innings, with the Astros prevailing 7-6, and winning the series 3-1. That's the equivalent of two full games just to get one win. Wow! Houston gets to play arguably the best team in baseball next in the St. Louis Cardinals. This will be a rematch of last year's NLCS. Should be good.

---

Today the kids and I went to church. They go to their age appropriate Sunday School class while I attend the regular service. Today my pastor spoke on Acts 12:1-2,20-24, where Agrippa I kills the apostle James with a sword,and later is struck down and eaten by worms after giving a speech at Caesarea. Lots of action (and history, too!)

I've walked in the amphitheater where Agrippa gave this speech. I've got a picture of it somewhere. Simply amazing.

4 Comments:

At 11 October, 2005 00:35, Blogger American Guy said...

eaten by worms! how cool is that - I look forward to my future

 
At 11 October, 2005 20:53, Blogger Tim said...

American Guy:

Not cool at all. Worms didn't eat him after he was dead, they ate him to death!! Read on and see...

Acts 12:23 doesn't give all of the details regarding Agrippa I's horrible death. Skolekobrotos is the greek word used in the original text for the phrase 'eaten by worms'. It conveys the meaning of being eaten alive.

Filling in the details is historian Josephus, who wrote in Jewish Antiquities:

"A severe pain also arose in his belly, and began in a most violent manner... when he had been quite worn out by the pain in his belly for five days, he departed this life, being in the fifty-fourth year of his age, and in the seventh year of his reign. (44 AD)
[Antiquities 19.343-350]

What this all means is that Agrippa was eaten alive from tapeworms in his bowels. It took him five painful days to die!!

That my friend is not cool, it is gruesome. If you want to die in that way, be my guest.

 
At 13 October, 2005 11:04, Blogger American Guy said...

still, the imagry...

 
At 13 October, 2005 18:52, Blogger Tim said...

I can't believe that's the only comment you could come up with.

Yes, that's some imagery all right...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home