"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Did you ever have that feeling?


This week at work, but especially today, I got the feeling that I've just about outlived my usefulness at my present employer. The weird thing is that I'm not entirely sure what I've done to earn this. I've never felt as uncomfortable on the job since I started working there in August, 2004 as I have this week.

I can just sense that I'm on someone's shit list and again I have no idea why. Nor do I know (for sure) whose shit list I am on, and that bugs me. Very much.

How did I arrive at this conclusion?

Well, several people at work have made innocent sounding comments which, when put together, give me this eerie feeling that I'm on the outs.

Late in the day today I asked my boss if I could speak with him. He was kind of busy, having just finished a conference call with L and some client or someone of importance. So he agreed that we'd talk in the morning after our company wide morning meeting.

My boss, R, is also my friend. He's the one who recommended me to L. Otherwise I never would have considered working in this industry, because up until last year I had no clue it existed, let alone that I wasn't qualified for it. Not that I'm qualified for it now, just that I have over a year of experience in my corner, which is qualification enough, I guess. Because R is my friend, I feel confident he won't bullshit me or throw me under the bus. Let's hope I'm just being paranoid for no reason.

So my conversation with R will include the following: (Innocent beginning) I have a suggestion for an improvement on some of the paperwork we fill out regulary- which I honestly do- a change that I think he'll agree makes sense and therefore is a good idea. Then I'll ask him about my wages, and if he thinks L would raise me up to industry standard. R knows that when I was hired I wasn't familiar with the pay scale for the injection molding industry, so I unwittingly lowballed myself to a payscale that I thought was good, since it was more than I'd ever made per hour in any job I'd ever had. Hindsight: bad move on my part, but what can I do? No matter what his response, I'll finally ask him if I'm in danger of losing my job and if he knows whose shit list I'm featured on and reasons why? Finally I'll ask him how I can get off of this list, because I don't think it's deserved.

BTW, I'm still working on other projects (much to my dismay) and we still haven't made any of the slice of hell piece, so nothing to update there.

5 Comments:

At 09 December, 2005 00:07, Blogger Genna said...

I will definately keep my fingers crossed for you. Hope it is all in your head.

 
At 09 December, 2005 01:34, Blogger K~ said...

My frind Green are you in an 'at will' state? In Michigan every day you go in you can be "restructured" (let go) for any reason justified or not.
So good luck I hope you don't get "let go."

 
At 09 December, 2005 07:24, Blogger DaBich said...

Green~I'll send up a few prayers to Mary for you. It sure can't hurt. Good luck!

 
At 09 December, 2005 11:16, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Nowadays, in my experience, it seems people resent "trouble-makers" who want to change things. My advice is to face back a bit or you might wind up being faded completely.

 
At 09 December, 2005 15:06, Blogger Tim said...

I hope it's all in my head too. I think MA (where I work) is an at will state. I don't think I'd just be "let go" without a reason. In a small company, everyone performs many tasks, not just one particular thing. While I know I'm not irreplacable, I don't think L operates his business in such a cut-throat manner.

Though I was trying to be as invisible as I could be today. But it's hard to be invisible "where everyone knows your name." *thinks he hears 'Cheers' theme music in background*

Pray to God for me. Mary can't help - partly because I'm not Catholic but mainly because she can't. You might as well pray to scribe to help me (God forbid) for all the good it will do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home