"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, December 18, 2005

Priceless

Matinee tickets for three: $17

Meduim Popcorn: $4

Kids first experience in a movie theater: priceless

Ok, so I'll admit I'm stealing from a tv commercial here. Anyway, I had been seeing the previews for Narnia for weeks and told my kids I wanted them to see it with me. I especially wanted to see it because I had recently read the book (#2 of 7 in the series.) M wanted to go but V did not - until this weekend.

In her computer lab at school last week, she played some sort of game involving Narnia and liked it. So when the kids came over this weekend the first thing V said to me was that she now wanted to go see Narnia in the movie theater with me. Kewl.

So we went to the movies instead of going to church. I know, my bad. This was their first time actually going to a movie theater. I thought they'd like the movie, but wasn't sure if they would be able to sit through the whole thing without needing a snack break or to use the bathroom.

I made sure they went to the restroom before we left for the theater and they tried again once we got there, before the movie started. This because I warned them that I was not going to get up during the movie to take them to the restroom. If they needed to go *during* the movie, that they would have to hold it until the end, when we would ALL use the bathroom. To aid in matters, I only bought popcorn for them - no drinks. M and I demolished the popcorn before the previews even started. I offered some to V several times but she didn't want any. I of course, snuck in a soda for myself, knowing I could hold it if need be. As soon as I opened the can my daughter noticed and commented. Life is unfair sometimes.

The movie was excellent and I highly recommend it. Definitely needs to be seen on the big screen, though. The special effects were excellent. I think they did a great job staying true to the book. I don't think they added much, if anything. If you haven't read the book or are generally unfamiliar with the story, I don't want to spoil it for you. So I'm not going to give away any plot details here. I think they did an excellent casting job for the most part, though I would have chosen another actress other than Tilda Swinton to play the white witch Jadis. She wasn't bad in the part, just not as wickedly beautiful as the books make her out to be.

---

Getting the weekend off to a good start was the Patriots winning on Saturday, dominating Tampa Bay 28-0. They won the AFC East and ensured themselves of a home playoff game on the weekend of January 7-8, 2006. Two more games to go in the regular season, then the title defense begins in earnest. Don't underestimate the champs, my friends. That's all I can tell you.

By virtue of the results of this weekends games, the Patriots opponents for 2006 are set.

HOME: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears.

AWAY: Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings and Green Bay Packers.

18 Comments:

At 19 December, 2005 16:25, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

It sucked and you damn well know it!!!

 
At 19 December, 2005 21:57, Blogger Tim said...

Just like you, scribe.

You listen but you don't hear. I said it was a great movie. 'Nuff said.

"Big Green Official SEAL of Approval"

 
At 19 December, 2005 22:31, Blogger Genna said...

I heard it was kind of "dark" and scary... What was your opinion? Was it a good movie for the young as well as the older crowd?

 
At 19 December, 2005 22:43, Blogger Tim said...

Sure Narnia had some dark and scary parts, but I think that most movies do to some extent, though some are worse than others.

Narnia was the only thing that CS Lewis wrote for children, so I do think it's appropriate for kids. It's even got something for adults, what with the Christian imagery Lewis uses. M, my six year old loved it. I asked him several times during the movie if he was okay and he said yes, never taqking his eyes off of the screen.

 
At 20 December, 2005 05:44, Blogger DaBich said...

Wonderful on the kids's first movie experience! Moments like these last forever in the heart.

 
At 20 December, 2005 13:20, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I hear fine-it was an enrmous pile of crap.

 
At 20 December, 2005 18:04, Blogger Tim said...

Dabich: Yes, it was a great memory. One we'll always share.

scribe: Did you see Narnia or are you just pissing on it because (insert reason here)? What didn't you like about it?

 
At 20 December, 2005 18:10, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I saw it.

 
At 20 December, 2005 18:18, Blogger Tim said...

so scribe, tell the world WHY you didn't like it.

 
At 20 December, 2005 19:28, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

It wasn't even worth a review.

 
At 20 December, 2005 19:42, Blogger Tim said...

as always, even if I disagree with you, (and I do) you are entitled to your opinion.

 
At 20 December, 2005 19:53, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Of course I am, so are you. What's your point?

 
At 20 December, 2005 20:12, Blogger Tim said...

my point is, since we agree to disagree, I'm not going to argue anymore with you on this.

 
At 20 December, 2005 20:33, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

good because I loved the movie LOL!!!







Gotcha!

 
At 20 December, 2005 20:57, Blogger Genna said...

Thanks for the input. My daughter is DYING to see the movie. She saw the original cartoon movie in church and will not quit talking about it. Have you read the whole set?

I bought it for my daughter for Christmas, but apparently she found it in the closet and the surprise is spoiled... Good thing she doesn't know I ordered the original movie from Amazon and it is on the way.... Hee Hee.... Sneaky.

Hope you are doing well.

 
At 20 December, 2005 23:12, Blogger Tim said...

genna:

I'm on book six. Haven't read it in a while. I just finished a great book and have started another. Both are linked on the right (for now, anyway) on my front page.

I hope she likes Narnia. I'm sure you will. It's a bit over two hours long. She should definitely like the books, if you read them to her.

 
At 21 December, 2005 05:35, Blogger DaBich said...

Damn I saw that coming a mile away! LOL!

 
At 21 December, 2005 21:54, Blogger MaryAn Batchellor said...

No time for movies this week, but kids said it was a fun ride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home