"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, September 25, 2006

The new job

Some of you have been wondering what it is I'll be doing for work at my new job. And some of you have expressed concern because I've been so cryptic about the whole procedure. Now that I've told my family about my job change, I can let you all know about it too.

I'm going to be working for an insurance company that offers health insurance to small businesses, self-employed people and in NH, individuals. During the four days of training, I'll be learning about the products that are available, how to sell them, and everything in between. I'll also be learning about the differences in the regulations between NH and MA because some of the laws are different. And that affects some of the products I'll be selling.

Of course, not just anyone can go out and sell insurance. You have to have a license to do that. In order to get a license, I need to take a test, given by a company that provides such tests for the state of New Hampshire.

So today I purchased the necessary text that I need in order to study for the licensing exam. The test, I'm told, consists of 150 multiple choice questions and takes two and a half hours to complete. The test is given on a computer which will give me my results once I've finished. With results in hand (I need a 70 to pass), I then can obtain my license. Convenient for me that I'll arrange to take the test right there in Concord (the capital of NH for the state capital and geographically challenged readers.)

At some point after, depending on how that goes, I can then go and apply for a license for MA, so I can do business there as well. This is practical for me, since my town is on the border of the two states.

It's a job that is commission based, which is a daunting proposition. But I will know that if I cannot make this work, I'll have no one but myself to blame. People say that I'll have to work hard in order to get paid. To them I say: "What, you don't think I work hard at my present job?" Of course I do. This job is no different.

This job just has a higher earning potential than at the company I work for now. I'll be working for myself, being able to set my own schedule and being accountable to myself. And if I need to take time off for a doctors appointment or to see my kids in a play at school or whatever the case may be, I don't need to clear it with anyone. I can work around whatever I need to. At this stage of my professional life, this is very appealing to me.

As a bonus, I'll be able to write off on my taxes all of my business expenses, gas, tolls, etc.

And hopefully I will also be able to schedule some time and effort into that writing career (other than keeping this here ol' blog) I've been telling myself I want to pursue.

But don't worry, the blog isn't going anywhere, and neither am I.

2 Comments:

At 26 September, 2006 04:44, Blogger DaBich said...

jxqmmqwOoh! That's scary, but I can see why it's appealing. Good luck, hope you do well on the test!!

 
At 26 September, 2006 21:23, Blogger requiredreading said...

Green, how you doing old boy? A friend of mine just got his license to sell insurance and securities, I hope you do well:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home