"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, January 13, 2007

SNMR 2.19: "Along Came Polly"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Along Came Polly" (2004, PG-13, 91 minutes), starring Ben Stiller, Jennifer Aniston, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Debra Messing, Hank Azaria, Bryan Brown and Alec Baldwin. The film was directed by John Hamburg.

I had never even heard of this film until recently, when I saw it in the store for under $7. Some of Ben Stiller's movies are funny, some are not. What made me buy it was Jennifer Aniston, whom I like.

From the DVD's dust case:

Reuben Feffer (Ben Stiller) is a guy who's spent his entire life playing it safe. Polly Prince (Jennifer Aniston) is irresistable as a free spirit who lives for the thrill of the moment. When these two comically mismatched souls collide, Reuben's world is turned upside down, as he makes an uproarious attempt to change his life from middle-of-the-road to totally-out-there! Along Came Polly is the most hilarious comedy smash to come along in years.


From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p. 26:

The tropical honeymoon of risk analyst Reuben Feffer screeches to a halt when he finds his wife having sex with her French scuba instructor while still wearing her swim flippers. The starched-shirt husband returns home humiliated and is sucked into a whirlwind of extreme sports, spicy foods and salsa dancing by an adventuresome, commitment-challenged former female schoolmate. This romantic comedy is sometimes hilarious but dips into the toilet tank for humor when the love story veers from inspired to moronic.


This was a cute movie. I liked it in part because I can identify with the play-it safe nature of Ben Stiller's character. Stiller isn't the best actor in the world, but he does a good job with the material at hand. I think Jennifer Aniston is underrated as an actress and gets hammered unfairly in the media. The basic storyline here is not all that original but for some reason it works. There are some very funny scenes in this movie and others are downright dumb. I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is brilliant as the annoying, full of himself best friend. Hank Azaria is an excellent and versatile charachter actor. Any actress could have played Debra Messing's part. This movie is worth a rent for good mindless entertainment. I'll give this movie four out of five stars.

14 Comments:

At 14 January, 2007 11:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phillip Seymour Hoffman STOLE this movie, he is halarious in this film.

 
At 16 January, 2007 11:55, Blogger Minister Scribe said...

Aye, 'twas a most pleasant surprise watching this film, especially considering that the Church would like nothing more than to light Anniston on fire and dip her in a vat of crude oil until ther eis naught left but a decent arse.




Funny movie~

 
At 17 January, 2007 00:17, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jennifer Aniston is a heavenly body. I would like to join with that heavenly body in umm... well, Heaven. She is the main attraction to every movie she is in. Even Leprechaun.

 
At 17 January, 2007 10:18, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Now I know Rudy is insane.

 
At 17 January, 2007 10:20, Blogger Tim said...

scribe:

then I'm insane too, 'cause I agree with him. But you knew that already, I guess...

 
At 17 January, 2007 10:21, Blogger Tim said...

....except I haven't seen Leprechaun.

 
At 18 January, 2007 05:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'What made me buy it was Jennifer Aniston, whom I like.'
Me too and I'm straight lol. I like her because she is very natural.
I watch every movie she is in, regardless of the critics, good or bad.
So I guess this one comes on a DVD and is not in the cinemas? Didn't see it here yet ...

 
At 18 January, 2007 06:40, Blogger Tim said...

AM: Jennifer Aniston does have that natural look - good way to describe it. I just watched another movie that she's in called "Rock Star", which came out in 2001 and is also on DVD. Have you seen that one??

 
At 18 January, 2007 08:47, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you guys are joking, right?

Jennifer Anniston is a talentless hack, who pretty much plays the same whiny characther in evrey film she does. She also really should get a better agent, because she's agreed to quite a few stinkers.

As a general rule of thumb, any movie that has one of the cast from Friends in it, is a good one to avoid. They're pretty much all duds. There have been a few exceptions, but VERY few.

 
At 18 January, 2007 11:01, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

AMEN mah brotha!!!

AG,

great minds think alike. Assiston is a decent butt and nothing more. She's talentless and annoying, like 75% of the cast fo that wretched, illusion-inducing show.

The only exception to your bad "Friends" cast movies rule is "Romy & MIchelle's High School Reunion" with Lisa Kudrow. She was also in "Analyze This" with Billy Crystal and Bobby DeZero.

 
At 18 January, 2007 13:55, Blogger Tim said...

AG & scribe:

Amazing that you think all of the charachters she plays are the same whiny type. So it must be that, with such an opinion, you've seen every movie that she's ever been in?

I never got into "Friends" primarily because I don't watch much series television and I don't care for David Schwimmer. Now he plays many whiny charachters and his voice I think is annoying.

 
At 18 January, 2007 14:06, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked this movie...and Jennifer Aniston is a good actress.

You should watch Derailed...she plays a way different character in that one.

Debra Messing is a good actress too. She plays the witch in this film. Have you seen the Wedding Date?? It's one of my favorites...and the soundtrack is pretty good too.

 
At 18 January, 2007 19:45, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think blogger exploded on Tink.

I'm on the undecided fence about Aniston.

LOVE phillip Seymour Hoffman.

What the hell kind of name is Rueben Feffer -
it cracks me up.

 
At 19 January, 2007 15:57, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

green,

While I haven't seen every Anniston film, I can testify to having seen more than I wanted to see: "The Object of my Affection," "Office Space," "ALong COmes Polly," "The Breakup" and more whose titles I can't recall. Much like Critch itch, she winds up in the most annoying places.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home