"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, February 17, 2007

SNMR 2.24: "The Running Man"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "The Running Man" (1987, R, 101 minutes), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Conchita Alonso, Richard Dawson, Yaphet Kotto, Jim Brown, Jesse Ventura, Dweezil Zappa and Mick Fleetwood. The film was directed by Paul Michael Glaser. I'm watching the two disc Special Edition.

This was one of those films that I first watched many years ago when I was working for the Burlington Mall General Cinema. Because one of my jobs there was to usher and clean up the theater at the end of every showing, there are scenes from this film that I have seen more times than I can remember.

From the DVD's dust case:
The Year is 2019. Television is now ruling people's lives. The most popular "audience participation" game show is "The Running Man" - where convicts can win pardons instead of "parting gifts" by defeating murderous henchmen called "stalkers." The stalkers haven't had much of a challenge lately... until Ben Richards (Arnold Schwarzenegger) comes along.

From Martin & Porter's DVD & Video Guide 2007, p. 970:
In this silly but exciting outing, Arnold Schwarzenegger is an honest cop who is framed for a crime he didn't commit and forced to fight for his life on a bizarre 21st century game show. Another successful variation on the big guy's standard film formula.

This is one of my favorite early Arnold films which is based on a novel by Steven King, writing as Richard Bachman. I think the concept of the movie is wonderful. Quite frankly, Richard Dawson, playing off of his Family Feud persona and fame, is absolutely brilliant in the role of the in love with himself, obnoxious game-show host. Arnold is, well, typical Arnold in a typical shoot'em up role. This is a cool sci-fi action film that kept me on the edge of my seat 20 years ago and it was exciting to watch again after not seeing it for such a long time. When I saw the two disc special edition in the store the other day, I had to snatch it up (for under $12) for sentimental reasons. I'll give this film three and a half out of five stars.

1 Comments:

At 23 February, 2007 16:01, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Arnie: I'll be back.

Dickie Dawson: Only in a rerun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home