"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, March 05, 2007

The dumbest thing I heard today

This morning, after I dropped my kids off at their mom's place of employment, I was listening to a local radio station. The morning show was doing a weekly feature called "Dilemma of the Week", or something like that, which is opened up to callers to voice their opinion on what should be done.

Here's the situation they gave: A family in Manchester, NH has a two year old gerbil named Johnny with two broken rear legs, apparently by one of the kids stepping on the thing or some other act which no one was willing to 'fess up to. A vet told the family that he could set the bones for $700. The father said no way while the mother (and likely the kids, too) says they should do it. So this is the question, should they or should they not pay?

Believe it or not, some callers actually thought it would be a good idea to spend the money on Johnny. Most of the callers I heard thought old Johnny should be laid to rest. And that was the majority vote of the callers - that Johnny should be left to die.

One woman called in with this semi-related story - that she and her husband had owned a bird that got sick and they were told by a vet that they could purchase $600 worth of antibiotics to give to the bird to help it get better. The couple debated the issue, and the wife who wanted to spend the money on the bird, won the argument. So the poor husband relented and stayed up all night to feed the antibiotics to the bird, which ended up dying the next day anyway.

Of course, I agree with the father in the gerbil story. I can think of a gazillion more productive ways to spend $700 than on vet bills for a gerbil, which has a short life span and would die anyway. Now if this were a dog or cat that we were talking about then maybe, MAYBE, I'd spend $700 at the vet for it, depending on the age of the animal and projected lifespan.

Do you know how many gerbils $700 can buy??

7 Comments:

At 05 March, 2007 18:26, Blogger johana said...

Goes to show you can't put a price tag on love. ;P

Although... I'd get it put down. If the kid stepped on it perhaps they're not careful enough to have a pet.

Or at the very least not such a small, underfoot kinda pet. Something more in the realms of Labrador. It's hard to step on a Labrador.

 
At 05 March, 2007 18:36, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

The following is the most unintentionally funny line I've read in months!

"Do you know how many gerbils $700 can buy??"

Punchline: Ask Richard Gere! LOL

Please tell me you don't need that one explained!

 
At 05 March, 2007 19:27, Blogger wmy said...

Good one Scribe!!
Since I am not on the animal rights committee anymore...hah...I will just say this...700 bucks for a rodent?? NOT FUCKING LIKELY!!

 
At 05 March, 2007 20:38, Blogger ~AprilD said...

I'm laughing my ass off over here. I too found "Do you know how many gerbils $700 can buy??" entertaining... and scribe's punchline hilarious! Who needs sitcoms when I've got you guys??

 
At 06 March, 2007 00:33, Blogger Tim said...

johana: what I want to know is what was the gerbil doing out of the cage?

scribe: I was being totally serious.

wmy: where ya been, doll? And I agree. No way would I spend $700 on a rodent.

~autumn: we aim to please.... I guess.

 
At 06 March, 2007 05:48, Blogger DaBich said...

Poor thing, it needs to RIP.

$700 can buy a lot, the hell with gerbils!!!!

 
At 06 March, 2007 13:27, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

green,

I know you were neing serious, that's what mad eit so damn funny!

But in all seriousness, I ain't payin' hunnit dollas fo no damn rat!!! Hell, I don't think I pay that for my dog! Sometimes animals are meant to pass on. It's a ahrd but good lesson for kids to learn.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home