"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, July 30, 2007

Bill Walsh (1931-2007)

I never liked the San Francisco 49ers because they were too good. And they were always winning Super Bowls when I was a kid, so naturally I rooted against them. Every time.

But as a football fan I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the passing of a coaching legend. Bill Walsh died today at his home in California after a long battle with Leukemia.

The impact that the 75 year old Walsh had on today's National Football League is undeniable. Many of today's head coaches both at the collegiate level and in the NFL coached under Walsh and exported his "West Coast Offense" to cities and colleges throughout the country.

The impact goes even further. Many of today's players grew up, as I did, watching Bill Walsh's teams. The present quarterback for my beloved New England Patriots, Tom Brady, grew up in northern California and idolized Walsh and his star QB Joe Montana. If it weren't for the success of the Walsh era in San Francisco, would Brady have had a passion for football and gone on to play professionally? Would my Patriots have been able to get to, let alone win, three Super Bowls this decade with out Tom Brady?

Not likely.

So while the world beats on, the football world is saddened by the loss of one of its own.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Walsh. God bless.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 31 July, 2007 09:00, Blogger DaBich said...

After the demise of the Steeler Era, I idolized Joe Montana. My family despised him lol. Of course, there wouldn't be a Joe Montana without Bill Walsh. He was truly one of football's finest coaches and a wonderful human being as well. RIP Bill Walsh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home