"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Summer Update

With the start of the 2007-08 school year just under a month away I thought I'd bring you up to speed on a few small things that have made this summer special, aside from the fact that it's my favorite season.

Swimming in the pool: While conditions have to be perfect for me to take any extended time in the pool, V and M will go in in virtually any conditions. They continue to progress in their swimming ability by leaps and bounds. This year neither of them need a floatation device in order to safely enjoy the water. V is able to stand flat foot in the pool and the water is just over M's head, so that he has to keep bouncing around in order to stay above. They both have become adept at holding their breath and going under the water. It is evident that they are both feeling more at home swimming under the water, which is fantastic. I've always said my kids resemble fish this time of year.

M's interest in playing sports: Starting last summer when M first asked me to play catch with him, his interest in baseball has grown. He's able to throw a lot better this year, though sometimes he doesn't look where he's throwing and does so wildly. This year he's caught on (pun intended) to the proper way to hold his glove and his catching ability has improved substantially in a short period of time.

M's current baseball glove is kind of small and rather than buy him a new one (which would have been cheaper), I decided to have my (circa late 1970's Jim Rice model) old glove re-laced for him, since tanned leather doesn't go bad under normal circumstances (unless it's abused, which wouldn't be normal I guess...) and it makes the glove become an heirloom. This place did a wonderful job and was very efficient in getting the work done and sending the glove back to me. Total turn around was about 10 days from the time I mailed it off. If you have an old baseball glove in need of repair, I highly recommend checking them out for yourself. Unfortunately, M's hand is still a bit too small for the bigger glove, so he'll probably start using it in earnest next spring.

M's interest in football is growing as well. He wanted to participate in his town's flag football program this year. He's in a league and on a team of 1st-3rd graders. Twice a week practices started last Tuesday and the coaches are teaching the kids the fundamentals of the game. His league will play games on Sunday afternoons in September.

Like father, like son: Last fall M had more of an interest in watching Patriots games on television with me on Sundays. This season should be better because he's more able to understand how the game is played. He even knows some of the Patriots players by name, position and uniform number. M has had an interest in the Red Sox since the start of the baseball season back in April. He's wanted to watch many games with me and he asked me to teach him how to keep score. As with football, M's knowledge of the game is improving the more he watches and he also too knows some of the players by name, position and uniform number.

V's interest in playing baseball: While not as great as M's, V does enjoy playing catch with us on occasion. She even asked me if I'd get her a glove, which I did for her birthday in May. And she'll never have to share it because no one else in my family at present is a lefty. One more reason why V is so special.

One interest I'll never understand: This isn't particularly a summer thing, but both V and M love collecting and trading Pokemon cards with their cousins. They even like to play Pokemon video games. Harmless fun, I suppose, though I'll never understand the infatuation.

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At 12 August, 2007 22:47, Blogger American Guy said...

"And she'll never have to share it because no one else in my family at present is a lefty."

I knew there was something great about that girl!

"both V and M love collecting and trading Pokemon cards ... I'll never understand the infatuation."

This from the man who spent countless time (and money!) collecting, catalouging and talking about 'valuable' baseball cards!

 
At 12 August, 2007 23:08, Blogger Tim said...

AG: yep, but that's only one thing that makes her special. (Daddy's lil' girl, first child, etc.)

and yep. but the value of baseball cards is more intrinsic; (there's way more to it than money) the main difference is that baseball cards are a great way for kids to learn about what makes the game of baseball so great and part of our country's history.

Pokemon cards have no such worth, either intrinsically, becasue they teach kids nothing, or monetarily, since supply far exceeds demand.

 
At 13 August, 2007 01:39, Blogger American Guy said...

As you well know, the whole baseball card thing had very little to do with traditional market forces such as supply and demand. It was much more of a classic bubble economy, where as long as everybody agreed that they had value, they would. Much like the tech stock bubble.

But then one day someone woke up and said 'um, they're just pieces of cardboard' and the whole thing collapsed like an almost literal house of cards.

I remember you bragging about your 'investment' of hundreds (perhaps thousands) of dollars. Tell me, what kind of return do you honestly think you got?

Pokemon cards are fun - if a bit consumerist for my taste, and that's what kids want. There was a time when that was why people bought baseball cards, too. And toy cars. And action figures.

We used to have this insane notion that toys were to play with - not to keep in their orignal packaging and 'collect'.

 
At 13 August, 2007 09:08, Blogger DaBich said...

I remember watching my ex-husband's little brother play in the small kids football league. Oh Lord, did I enjoy that! They were so cute, and didn't know how to play "mean". SO, I can imigine you will totally love watching M play. I bet you can't wait till they start!
It's great with father/son can share sports together.
V will prolly be a little tom-boy if you and M have anything to say about it!!
My girls played softball and I helped coach. I remember so many good times from those years!

 
At 13 August, 2007 09:49, Blogger Tim said...

d: yes, I will enjoy watching M play! And I'm thrilled that he has grown to love sports - a definite tool for father-son bonding if ever there was one.

Perhaps V will have a little tom-boy in her but she definitely has the girly side, which I'm happy to see.

 
At 13 August, 2007 09:53, Blogger Tim said...

AG: that's where you are mistaken.

The older baseball cards, such as the early tobacco cards and right through, say 1976, have significant value depending on the player depicted and how many were printed.

If you look at a price guide for, say the 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle, you might be surprised how much it is worth. Why? Because less were printed and many kids of that era used to ruin the cards by flipping them and putting them into the spokes of their bicycle wheels. Thus making the quantity of cards quite limited.

From, say 1977 onward thru the present day cards have less value because more companies began to get licensed by MLB to print cards and in greater quantities. SO everyone who wants one can have one.

In each case, supply and demand do indeed play a factor.

Yes some of the cards I have are valuable, most are not. But as with any non government backed collectible, the economy determines the market. If people have more disposable income to spend on luxury items then prices spike a bit. In economies such as we've seen in the Bush eras not so much.

 
At 13 August, 2007 10:00, Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

My least favorite time of the year is January-March. It's bleak and dreary. My second least favorite is June-August because it's too darn hot to enjoy everything. My FAVORITE season is coming up! FALL. I love that time between September (my bday) and Halloween. Always have. And then comes Christmas which is my favorite time without a doubt!

 
At 13 August, 2007 10:04, Blogger Tim said...

stephanie: I agree that January thru March is pretty blah! Actually, aside from Christmas, any day that involves snow is depressing to me.

 
At 13 August, 2007 17:42, Blogger American Guy said...

"many kids of that era used to ruin the cards by flipping them and putting them into the spokes of their bicycle wheels."

But that's my point! they weren't ruining the cards, they were doing what they were supposed to do with them - play and have fun!

 
At 13 August, 2007 17:55, Blogger Tim said...

and hence why certain cards have greater value. Less collectible specimens that are in favorable condition in existence means higher value. Supply and demand. Economics 101.

 
At 13 August, 2007 19:59, Blogger American Guy said...

but why is a card that has not been plaed with, not been enjoyed, not been used as intended by the manufacturer, considered to be "in favorable condition"?

This is much more psychology than ecnomics

 
At 14 August, 2007 08:05, Blogger DaBich said...

As for those cards, the way I see it is, their value is only as high as the person who values them. Thus, if someone REALLY values and WANTS a card, he/she will pay a higher amount to get it. If they don't value it, it's not worth much.
One person's junk is another's treasure :)

 
At 14 August, 2007 09:33, Blogger Tim said...

AG: part of the recommended use of the cards is for collecting. Don't read into this simple hobby more than there is.

Dabich: Now you're talking... that's what supply and demand is all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home