"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, October 20, 2007

SNMR: hiatus

I started the Saturday Night Movie Reviews column in March 2006 and have just completed, with last week's selection, the third series of films.

That makes 90 movies that I've reviewed, thirty movies in each series. Generally, there's no rhyme or reason to which movies I review - with a few exceptions along the way. I do think that I've reviewed a wide range of films and that won't change.

I've been contemplating this for quite some time, but I've decided to put the column on hiatus for this week and next. Regular weekly reviews will resume on Saturday, November 3rd.

So here's the deal:

I've never gotten as many comments with it as I'd like to have on a weekly basis, and occasionally a comment will appear there that has nothing to do with the movie under review. Obviously the more readers and comments there are, the better I like it.

What I want to know in the mean time is what do you, dear readers, like and dislike about the column as presently formatted? What improvements would you suggest to make it better? I'd like to give you this opportunity to state your opinions and share your ideas. Talk to me, people. and let me know what you're thinking...

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 20 October, 2007 18:10, Blogger EstherNow said...

Look, Green! My picture now shows up with my comments.

I took time to work on it today as well as some additional items on my blog.

Let me think about your request for SNMR responses a little longer. I will respond.

 
At 20 October, 2007 19:32, Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

Maybe review some newer movies? Save me time at Blockbuster!

 
At 21 October, 2007 04:08, Blogger American Guy said...

just a thought, but actually tell us more about what you did and didn't like about the films. "here's what the dust cover says" and a list of how many oscars it won etc don't make for really compelling reading

 
At 21 October, 2007 20:02, Blogger lccb81 said...

I read them and don't comment. I like to read them but nothing compels me to comment. But I like to read them. It's something I look forward to on Saturdays. Ok?

 
At 22 October, 2007 18:35, Blogger EstherNow said...

You asked, so here are my suggestions, Green:

1. MORE OF YOUR RESPONSE/THOUGHTS: I'm going to go with AG on this. As much as I like knowing what the DVD cover says, I would really like to also have more of what you thought was really good about the movie and what could have been improved upon. Maybe you could identify your favorite character(s), scene(s) or quote(s) without giving away the whole movie. These would paint a deeper picture of your preferences as related to the movie. These would also open more dialogue and likelihood for comments by your readers - Examples: "I loved that scene, Green!" "What a lame quote," etc., etc.

2. STAR RATING: Might I also suggest actual stars to be used in place of or with the star rating. Put this at the top or the bottom of the post so we easily see what your star rating is right away.

3. ACTUAL MOVIE CLIPS: You might ask Stephanie how she did it, but she actually included a YouTube clip of a favorite movie scene. This might be another option to spark discussion.

4. BEST MOVIE SCENES OF ALL TIME: Because you are such a movie expert and lover, instead of whole movie reviews, another temporary option might be to start a list featuring one scene each Saturday of your favorite 25 to 100 movie scenes and why. You could explain in a narrative why that particular scene had such an impact and left such an impression on you.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas to go on!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home