"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, January 09, 2009

Conference Semifinals - 2008 NFL Playoffs

Ok, here's the way I see it shaping up for this weekend's NFL playoff games.

Saturday: #6 Baltimore Ravens at #1 Tennessee Titans (-3): Tennessee went into Baltimore during Week five and won 13-10. All-time, the series is tied 9-9-0. Historically, these are two evenly matched teams. My pick this week is Baltimore because I think their defense is slightly better. Plus, any team with Kerry Collins as their starting QB is suspect. I think Tennessee's league best record came about from playing a relatively light schedule. This should be another low scoring game, So if you like defense, you'll like this match up. Prediction: Baltimore 14, at Tennessee 13. Actual result: Baltimore 13, at Tennessee 10 This game played out pretty much the way I thought it would.

#4 Arizona Cardinals at #2 Carolina Panthers (-9½): Arizona is not a team that likes to play on the east coast, as evidenced by their games this season, all losses. Granted they played Carolina tough here in Week eight. Carolina is 6-2 all time vs. Arizona, but the Cardinals two wins did come on the road. I think that this game could get ugly early. Carolina QB Jake Delhomme is a savvy veteran who has played in the Super Bowl. His team is far superior in all three phases of the game.
Prediction: at Carolina 35, Arizona 10. Actual result: Arizona 33, at Carolina 13 I knew the game would get ugly quickly, but I picked the wrong side it would get ugly for. Three first half Panther turnovers gave the Cardinals a 27-7 lead at the half and even an average team can win easily with that kind of advantage. Amazing that, if Philadelphia wins Sunday, the Cardnals will host the NFC Championship game.

Sunday: #6 Philadelphia Eagles at #1 New York Giants (-4½): These division rivals hate each other and know each other so well from playing twice every season. These teams split their series this year, with each team winning on the road. The Eagles are playing as well as anyone right now, but I think Eli and his mates will bring their A game and force QB Donovan McNabb into mistakes. It's possible that they will and I'd love to see the Eagles win, but I just don't see it happening. Prediction: at New York 28, Philadelphia 21. Actual result: Philadelphia 23, at NY Giants 11 Congrats to former Patriot and current Eagle CB Asante Samuel for his key interception. So now we have an NFC title matchup which nobody could ever have predicted.

#4 San Diego Chargers at #2 Pittsburgh Steelers (-6): These teams met here in Week 11 and it doesn't get any uglier than that game, which Pittsburgh won 11-10. The Steelers defense is one of the best in the game and will carry an inconsistent offense. Look for a higher scoring game this time around, but the Steelers will prevail. Prediction: at Pittsburgh 28, San Diego 20. Actual result: at Pittsburgh 35, San Diego 24 Key statistic: 3rd Quarter time of posession - Pit 14:43, SD 0:17 Game Over.

Well, I did do better this week, going 2-2 both straight up and vs. the point spread. That makes me 3-5 on both counts so far this post season. I need to go perfect the rest of the way to avoid a losing record. I'll have my Conference Championship predictions for you next Saturday.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 11 January, 2009 11:57, Blogger DaBich said...

I hope you're right, but I'm not betting on the Steelers. I kinda wish Tomlin would use Leftwich for QB!

 
At 13 January, 2009 05:39, Blogger DaBich said...

About time the Steelers played a good game!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home