"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Saturday, March 14, 2009

SNMR 6.9: "Becoming Jane"

Tonight's SNMR feature is "Becoming Jane" (2007, PG, 120 minutes) starring Anne Hathaway, James McAvoy, Julie Walters, James Cromwell, Maggie Smith and Anna Maxwell Martin. The film was directed by Julian Jarrold.

PLOT SUMMARY: This is the biopic of 18th Century English novelist Jane Austen (1775-1817).

MY OPINION: I had wanted to see this film for a while because I think Anne Hathaway is a very good actress and because I have, at present, two film adaptations of Austen's novels among my DVD collection. Hathaway doesn't disappoint in this film portraying the title character, including her decent English accent. What helped her performance is that she's a real life Jane Austen fan (as she reveals in the featurette included on the DVD) and wanted to do the character justice. James McAvoy is good as LeFroy, though one wonders how much artistic license was taken with their relationship in the movie compared to what it was in real life. As usual with these biopic films, the script is basic to bland, yet compelling because we, as an audience, are interested in the life of one of the greatest, certainly now influential writers (if high school English curricula are to be believed) of the English speaking world. It's interesting that Austen was able, in her short life, to overcome her social situation as a female writer and thrive in it, even though not many accolades came her way during her lifetime.

All in all this is a decent film and in no way a waste of two hours of your life. I'd consider adding this movie to my DVD library once the price reaches the $5 mark.

*** out of *****

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 16 March, 2009 11:47, Blogger Stephanie Faris said...

I actually loved that movie. I remember when I saw it I was still single and I was depressed for a week because I was convinced someday they'd say that about me as they did about Jane Austen. "She wrote a lot of books but she never married. Her one true love was in her 20s..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home