"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Going overboard for love of sport

I'll admit it, I'm an avid, even fanatical football fan, but this is carrying things a bit too far. This story I found on ESPN.com today from our friends at the AP.

(So there's no confusion, I'm referring to American football, not the other football which we in the States call soccer.)

TV, BEER, GAME, RECLINER SET UP FOR STEELERS FAN FUNERAL

Family has unique viewing at funeral home

Associated Press 6 July 2005

PITTSBURGH -- James Henry Smith was a zealous Pittsburgh Steelers fan in life, and even death could not keep him from his favorite spot: in a recliner, in front of a TV showing his beloved team in action. Smith, 55, of Pittsburgh, died of prostate cancer Thursday. Because his death wasn't unexpected, his family was able to plan for an unusual viewing Tuesday night.

The Samuel E. Coston Funeral Home erected a small stage in a viewing room, and arranged furniture on it much as it was in Smith's home on game day Sundays. Smith's body was on the recliner, his feet crossed and a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold silk pajamas, slippers and a robe. A pack of cigarettes and a beer were at his side, while a high-definition TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.


"I couldn't stop crying after looking at the Steeler blanket in his lap," said his sister, MaryAnn Nails, 58. "He loved football and nobody did [anything] until the game went off. It was just like he was at home."
Longtime friend Mary Jones called the viewing "a celebration."
"I saw it and I couldn't even cry," she said. "People will see him the way he was."

Smith's burial plans were more traditional; he'll be laid to rest in a casket.

If you don't believe me, click on the link at:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2101713

-----

In other unrelated news, the countdown stands at 4 days. (You thought I forgot about this, didn't you?) I have only talked to her briefly in the last few days and it's driving me nuts. I keep thinking about her impending visit and can't help fearing the worst. Namely that she'll fly all the way to JFK and US Customs sends her right back to Russia because of a visa problem. Of course if this or something similar happens, the only way I'll have a clue is if she is not on board her connecting flight to Logan. She has told me not to worry because her visa is legitimate, but I still do. I'm so wrapped up emotionally in this woman that if something goes wrong, well let's just say I'll be depressed for a good long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home