"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Stay tuned



Of course I'm not going to send her any more money. I've learned my lesson, sir.

This is what happened today: I got online at 4 am and did some research into airline flights to compare prices to the reservations that she made but cancelled two weeks ago. The ones that she "told me" she had purchased tickets for. And I did so in about 15 minutes. I did this so that when she called I would have a plan and counterargument.

Sure enough promptly at 5 am EDT she comes online to talk. She says that her problems at the airport last time were because passport control requires a certain amount of money on hand in order to leave the airport. And she asks me to send her the deficit. I don't think she remembers that I know the real reason. Now I may be gullible about some things but I know that no one anywhere at any time needs to know how much money you are carrying, with the possible exception being a spouse) especially some shmoe at an airport. So I told her no and that I had an easier way to get her the tickets she needs without requiring me to send anything...

I told her that she should send all of her money to me by Western Union, including her money for me and for the airline tickets. I then would purchase them for her, and email them to her (e-tickets are cheaper) so all she has to do is board the plane with tickets in hand. When I tell her my way involves using another airline besides Aeroflot she tells me that her work where she got her visa (red flags!!!) has a contract with the Russian airline and she must buy her ticket there. Oh no she still insisted that her way is easier, that she should buy the tickets and that she still needs me to help. Again I say no and repeat my plan, (which benefits me because if I buy the tickets and she doesn't use them I get the refund, not her - but I don't tell her this). I make it easy as pie for her and she still gives me grief. Imagine that. When I insist that my plan is better I can tell she is getting mad because it takes her longer to respond.

Now about those red flags that flashed when she mentioned her visa. I have questioned her multiple times about the validity of her visa and she kept telling me not to worry because her visa is ok. She doesn't seem to grasp the concept that it is very difficult (near impossible) for a woman her age from Russia to get a visitor or work visa for the USA. She also doesn't seem to realize that only the US Consulate at the US Embassy (the closest being Moscow in her case) can issue a valid visa. In fact the only visas they give out are finacee and spouse visas that come with mounds of paperwork, photographic proof of a relationship and plenty of various fees . Which in all cases require a special trip to Moscow to have an interview at the Consulate. So when she told me she got her visa through her work - right there I know it's bogus and there's no way she can come. Strike. Another reason for me to not send any money.

Finally, because I won't give in she ignores me for 10 minutes. When I finally ask her if she's still there, she signs out of Messenger. Fine. I go back to bed for 30 minutes before work.

Ultimately, the next time I talk to her I will offer her three scenarios:

1) that I buy the tickets for her as described above.

2) that she raise the necessary cash herself to meet "the deficit", then buy the tickets herself, and then tell me details.

3) that she not come at all now or we arrange for me to go visit her at a later date.

In each scenario I try to find polite ways to ask her to send me back the money I've sent, as she has promised to do. This will restore some credibility to her account.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home