"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, August 28, 2005

A bit of nostalgia



Later this afternoon I have to take my kids to their grandparents house where they will spend the night.

Right now they are having fun testing out one of my Atari 2600 units by playing some of the classic games. They struggled with the original Pac-Man game for about 20 minutes and now are playing Mr. Do. I love to see them enjoying the same games that I did oh so long ago, when I was a kid. Sometime in the near future I'll introduce them to the classic Nintendo machine & games that I have.

I have not spoiled them with the more advanced systems and games of today, like Xbox, Playstation or Nintendo 64. My kids have gotten a taste of these other game systems when we visit my parents house. My brother has a Playstation2 machine and they like to watch their cousin play some of the games. They have played on the N64 that my sister has.

The problem for me is that if I buy one of these newer systems and games, that I will waste too much time playing it. I am already a procrastinator of the highest order and I don't need any more distractions keeping me from the things I ought to be doing.

In fact, I've been in my apartment for about 10 months, and I still have boxes of stuff that remain in the boxes they were in when I moved here. It seems like I unpack one box of stuff only to compile another box of stuff in a vain attempt to clean up the place. Problem is that I don't throw much away.

One good thing I have gotten myself into the habit of doing is recycling my trash. I have a few different bins labeled paper, glass and plastic so I can separate my trash before I go to the recycling center. I usually make one trip a week there, occasionally I can get away with going every other week. As a result, the actual throwaway trash I have is minimal.

3 Comments:

At 29 August, 2005 22:24, Blogger Tim said...

Things that I save:

I used to be into sports memorabilia and have a lifetime worth of baseball cards, autographs and baseballs but I lost interest when my kids were born and the paycheck needed to go to other stuff. Now that I want to sell my collection, I've discoveed that the market isn't what it once was.:(
I've always been a bookhound and I have an impressive DVD library. Last year after the separation but before the divorce became final I bought all of my Atari gear and more Nintendo games to bring back some of the childhood. I even found a Vectrex unit (remember those??) but didn't buy any games for it, yet.
I have boxes of papers, old mail and unfinished projects as well as those unpacked boxes full of who knows what.
I also have a box full of my kids school papers and artwork, which they'll get someday)...

 
At 30 August, 2005 06:25, Blogger American Guy said...

not that I'm gloating, but i seem to remember telling you, oh maybe about 15 years ago, that your baseball cards would be worthless as soon as everybody else realised that they had no intrinsic value.

You should have got out when you were on top.

 
At 30 August, 2005 19:39, Blogger Tim said...

They're not worthless, just not worth as much as I thought. Since I didn't collect for the purpose of selling when I started - but for FUN as any worthwhile hobby should be.

Like everything else in the memorabilia industry, prices will rebound when the US economy is better (re: when King George is out of office!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home