"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, August 29, 2005

Thank You for saying hello



Tonight I had to swing by the grocery store on my way home from work to pick up a few things. I go to the same grocery store all of the time and some of the people who work there recognize me.

This grocery store chain must instruct it's cashiers to always greet the people as they come through the line. Usually its a "hello, how are you?" type of thing, which is fine. Most of the time I mindlessly answer back and think nothing of it, probably because most of the cashiers sound cheerful.

Tonight was different, though. The cashier I had offered me the most unenthusiastic greeting I've heard in a while. Usually the cashiers offer a smile with their greeting. Not this time, bud. Now I know that being a cashier can be a pretty lousy job (because I've done it myself, once upon a time - but not at a grocery store) and making that minimum wage is exciting stuff (when you're 16), but at least this girl could show some enthusiasm for her job. It's not like anyone forced her to be a cashier, y'know?

5 Comments:

At 30 August, 2005 09:39, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

You don't know what she was going through that day. Maybe she just had a death in the family or a hurtful breakup or somebody sha cares about was injured or she was on her period or chipped a nail or was having a bad hair day or peed her pants before she reached the bathroom or didn't get any sleep or got too much sleep or forgot how to masturbate or...

you get my point.

 
At 30 August, 2005 09:39, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

BTW,

thankee for making me one of you links!!! :)

 
At 30 August, 2005 17:45, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

I think the day of the happy, well-paid cashier are over.

 
At 30 August, 2005 19:30, Blogger Tim said...

tink- no such luck in New Hampshire or Massachusetts. Any poor slob can work at grocery stores here. Usually it's the high school kids who work there. Probably one of their first forays into the working world. However, there should be no excuse for bringing a bad attitude to work - everyone has a bad day once in a while, and some more than others it would seem.

Scribe- Point taken. You're right I don't know any of that stuff going on in the cashier's life, but I don't care. Still no excuse for being a sourpuss in public. Pout all you want at home....
Was there ever a day when cashiers were happy AND well paid?? Or happy and well paid but not at the same time)
BTW, no prob for the link! Your blog is interesting & a good read. I wanted to remember where it was. Same with tink's blogs. Glad that my comment attracted you to my little slice of blog heaven. Readers are good!! Y'all come back now, y'hear?

 
At 30 August, 2005 20:22, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

LOL

So we're agreed-cashiers have bcome surly morons.

Thanks for the accolades, green, it made my pit stains increase in mass and odor. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home