"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

How am I feeling today?



EXCELLENT.

Let me run down the events of yesterday for you:

My mom and I arrived at the hospital right at noon, as we were supposed to. After I checked in, I found a seat in the waiting room and pulled out a book that I had brought, expecting to have a long wait.

A little after 1:00 PM they called me in to the prep area, where a nurse went over some information with me and had me sign some release forms. She told me that the doctor had just called and that he was on his way. There were no emergencies to deal with and no one scheduled ahead of me, so it looked like I'd be going into surgery on time (or as close as hospitals get to on time), which was good. She then hooked up the IV to my left wrist (last time it was hooked up to my right wrist).

The same anesthesiologist came over and asked me if I had any questions, which I did not. Shortly after the doc came over to say hi. He asked me if my medical history had changed since last time (jokingly, since I was there a week ago) and also if I had any questions for him, which I did. I wanted to know if the surgery was sucessful, would he take the stent out during the procedure. He said that he would, but it might be necessary to put another one in there. The reason escapes me now, but I said ok lets do it.

The anesthesiologists came over that would actually be with me during the surgery came over and explained to me what they were going to do. They also asked me if I had any questions, which I did not.

By this time it was probably a little after 1:30 PM. The nurse who would be assisting the doc during surgery came over and introduced herself. She and the two anesthesiologists wheeled me down several corridors thru several automatic doors into the operating room, passing the waiting doc on the way. They raised the bed I was on and asked me to slide over onto the surgical table, since I was not yet out of it. The table was metallic and had a big x-ray type machine hovering over top with big bright lights all around.


Then they started administering one anesthesia....and a bit of a stronger one....


I woke up what seemed to be minutes later in the recovery area, still a bit groggy from the experience.

My mom told me that the doc said that the surgery was successful, that he was able to blast the stone and actually was able to flush most of it out. I still may pass some remnants of it in the next few days. I do still have a stent in me and the doc said that he'd be able to take that out during a short office visit next week, once some of the inflammation and swelling goes down. I hope I'll be able to see the pieces of the stone when I go in next week.

After I woke up, I'd say it took me about an hour or so to regain my bearings in the recovery area before I was able to be discharged.

We made a quick stop at the grocery store on the way back to my apartment, and walked in the door just in time to catch the 6:00 PM news. My mom stayed here with me last night for precautionary reasons, as suggested by the hospital.

I was still a bit tired, but got my second wind during the big football game, and didn't end up going to bed until after 2:00 AM. I didn't need to take any pain medication before going to bed last night, which was nice.

---

I took the day off today, as a recovery day, which is good. I'll probably take some naproxen later today, because I'm still a bit sore. Other than that, I'm in good shape.

So it'll be back to work and the regular routine for me on Wednesday.

I'm going to try to become a more frequent water drinker now and in the future to help prevent more stones. I'm more likely to produce them now that I've had one.

Before I end this post, I must say thanks to my mom for all of her help yesterday, and in the last few weeks. I also appreciate all of your concerns, thoughts and prayers for me as well. I can't tell you how imortant that was for me. So thanks. :>)

6 Comments:

At 08 November, 2005 10:03, Blogger DaBich said...

Glad to see you're home and doing so well! Back to the work grind tomorrow YUCK lol. What would we do without Moms? :)

 
At 08 November, 2005 19:58, Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhh, you had a stone. That must feel so bad. Ouchy.

 
At 08 November, 2005 20:36, Blogger K~ said...

Green,
I'm glad everything went well. Also add drinking cranberry juice that will help with flushing the kidneys :)
Just take it easy :)

 
At 09 November, 2005 18:59, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Some day this will happen to me, won't it?

 
At 09 November, 2005 23:38, Blogger Tim said...

Thanks again for the well wishes, etc. I seriously do appreciate them.

It may happen to you, scribe, out of the blue, just like it happened to me...

 
At 10 November, 2005 01:16, Blogger Genna said...

Glad that the procedure went well and this is behind you now. Are they having you drink clear liquids? Drink to your health!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home