"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Let's talk about drugs, ok?


I'm not talking about illegal drugs. I'm talking about drugs you get from a pharmacy, drugs that are prescribed by a doctor.

Specifically, I'm talking about the myriad prescription drugs that I've been prescribed in the last 2 1/2 weeks. When I got up this morning, I was actually amazed to see seven prescription drug bottles in my bathroom. I've never had so many prescription drugs at my disposal at the same time.

So I'm going to share with you what these drugs are, and what they're supposed to do for me, according to the information given me by the pharmacy.

1. Oxycodone and Acetaminophen (Percocet): This medicine is a combination of a narcotic and acetominophen used to relieve moderate to severe pain. Narcotic pain-relievers work by binding to opiod receptors in the brain and spinal cord, and acetominophen decreases the formation of prostaglandins, therefore reducing pain. This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

2. Naproxen: This medicine is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to relieve pain and swelling (inflammation). It is also used to treat headaches, muscle aches, backaches, tendonitis, bursitis, dental pain, menstrual cramps, arthritis or gout. Naproxen may be used to reduce fever, or relieve minor aches and pain due to the common cold or flu. It may be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor. This medicine works by blocking the enzyme in your body that makes prostaglandins. Decreasing prostaglandins helps to reduce pain, swelling and fever.

3. Metoclopramide: This medicine is a gastrointestinal stimulant used to treat gastroesophageal reflux and erosions/ulcers of the esophagus. It is also used to treat nausea, vomiting, heartburn, prolonged fullness after meals, and loss of appetite in patients with diabetes (diabetic gastropareisis). It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

4. Hydrocodone (Vicadin): This medicine is a combination of a narcotic and acetominophen used to relieve moderate to severe pain. Narcotic pain-relievers work by binding to opiod receptors in the brain and spinal cord, and acetominophen decreases the formation of prostaglandins, therefore reducing pain. This medicine may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

5. Phenazopyridine: This medicine is a urinary tract analgesic used to relieve pain, burning, and other discomfort caused by infection or irritation of the lower urinary tract. It may also be used to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor.

6. Oxybutynin Extended Release (Ditropan XL): This is a long acting form of oxybutynin that is used to treat overactiva and urinary conditions. It relaxes the muscles in the bladder to help decreaseproblems of urgency and frequent urination. Oxybutynin belongs to a class of drugs known as antispasmodics. This medication is also used to treat children 6 years of age and older who have an overactive bladderdue to certain nerve disorders (e.g., spina bifida).

7. Sulfamethoxazole with Trimethoprim: This medication is a combination of two antibiotics used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections (e.g. middle ear, urinary, respiratoryand intestinal infections). It is also used to prevent and treat a certain type of pneumonia (pneumocystis-type). This medication should not be used in children less than two months of age due to the risk of serious side effects.


Fun, don't you think???

4 Comments:

At 03 November, 2005 01:44, Blogger K~ said...

Green my friend, I've had almost all of those at one time or another. Most of them when I had my gallstone attacks before having my gallbladder out. The pain was unbearable and I have a pretty high tolerance for pain.
So my friend, take what you need to take to ease the pain you have. Hopefully any combination of those will have you comfortably numb.
Here's hoping you'll feel better eventually :)

 
At 03 November, 2005 05:30, Blogger DaBich said...

I took Vicoden when I had an impacted wisdom tooth pulled. I was literally on the ceiling looking down at myself miserable on the couch. I flushed the rest of them down the commode and took 4 or 5 ibuprofen instead. That is nasty stuff! Feel better soon Green.

 
At 03 November, 2005 14:33, Blogger Kristi B. said...

fun stuff. Once I took a Percocet, a Darvocet, and a Vicadin all at the same time to get rid of a killer headache! We won't talk about the results...I'm still coming down from that one!

 
At 03 November, 2005 15:56, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Damn, kristi!!! All that imbibing must have allowed you to see through Time!!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home