"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Grand Illusion


Welcome to the grand illusion
Come on in and see what’s happening
Pay the price, get your tickets for the show
The stage is set, the band starts playing
Suddenly your heart is pounding
Wishing secretly you were a star.

But don’t be fooled by the radio
The tv or the magazines
They show you photographs of how your life should be
But they’re just someone else’s fantasy
So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because you never win the game
Just remember that it’s a grand illusion
And deep inside we’re all the same.
We’re all the same...

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbors got it made
Just remember that it’s a grand illusion
And deep inside we’re all the same.
We’re all the same...

America spells competition, join us in our blind ambition
Get yourself a brand new motor car
Someday soon we’ll stop to ponder what on earth’s this spell we’re under
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are

(c) 1977 Styx, A&M Records, Inc.


Still one of my favorite tunes after all of these years.

In a college English class (a lifetime ago, it seems) one of the assignments we had was to analyze a poem or song lyrics. I forget exactly what I wrote regarding this tune but I remember using this for my assignment. My friend G and I took this class together and had a fierce competition the whole semester on who would get the better grade. Made us both work really hard in the class.

Aside from the fact that the teacher, one Dr. Quinn, looked exactly like Bruce Wayne, er Adam West. At the end of the semester we gave him a line from the show and asked him to say it, which of course he did and still sounded like Adam West. Though he denied knowing who Adam West is/was.

6 Comments:

At 23 October, 2005 21:52, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

I always loved Styx. I've got most of their albums in my collection. I can still remember sitting in my bedroom, listening to my cheap little square box of a record player,(before my parents finally broke down and bought me my first real stereo)and staring at the album covers dreaming that one day I'd marry Tommy Shaw,James Young, or Dennis DeYoung. OMG...geez teenage memories. he he

 
At 23 October, 2005 22:04, Blogger Tim said...

Still they are one of my favorite bands, though I prefer the old stuff. The last live concert I went to (in 1996, sad to say) was Styx with Kansas as the opening act. "Return to Paradise" was the theme & they played all of their classics. Dennis DeYoung and the whole band played, minus the drummer who I think died in the early 90's.

Kansas is another one of my favorite bands. Back then, when I found out they were touring together, I told my brother no matter what I was going to see that show...and it was simply maaahvelous.

I bought an autographed copy of Paradise Theater (the LP) when I was back at my parent's house, while I was separated & living there.

 
At 23 October, 2005 22:31, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

Yea, unfortunately I never got to see Styx in concert. I did get to see Kansas. As a matter of fact...They were the first band I ever saw in concert. I wanna say it was around '83 or '84, I'm not sure. I do remember this..It was GREAT!!
I know that's a long time ago and that was the one and only time I ever got to see them but, I'll never forget it.

 
At 24 October, 2005 16:36, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 24 October, 2005 20:12, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

scribe said...
I met Adam West 4 years ago!!! He made fun of me! I nearly had an orgasm of epic proportions.





P.S.

Styx Suxx~

 
At 24 October, 2005 20:53, Blogger Tim said...

scribe

Dare you disagree with me (and Zepplin, your goddess lady) about Styx? Tsssk tssk tsssk

I think I recall meeting both Adam West and Burt Ward at an auto show in Boston, when I was 11 or 12. But I wasn't a big Batman TV show fan in those days. What did he say to make fun of you?

Constant

thanks for the concern. Feeling ok, but a bit sore & fatigued. I'm going to try gooing back to work tomorrow for the first time in over a week. Should be interesting to see how I handle it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home