"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Waaay too soon



This is going way too far. Guess what was on television tonight, eleven days BEFORE Thanksgiving?

A Christmas special!

As my daughter was flipping trough the channels, fifteen minutes before bedtime, she flipped onto WTBS, and they were showing, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." What's up with that?!?!?!

Now don't get me wrong. I love that special. It is a classic. It makes a great children's book even better. I'll look forward to watching it in December. But puhleeze don't show it (or any Christmas special, for that matter) so early. It sort of reminds me how stores tend to put Christmas decorations up shortly after Halloween is over.

---

We didn't go to church today, for the fourth Sunday in a row. **BECAUSE** I'm still feeling sore, what with that stent still inside my body. Fortunately it will come out on Tuesday morning. The only place we went today was the grocery store, and that was just before lunch. I started feeling it while we were out. So when we got back, I put my "around the house" clothes on, so I could feel more comfortable. Aaaaah nice.

Sunday is football day. So I put on the Patriots game, which they won, 23-16, in a place that they don't often win. That would be Miami. Weird things usually happen to the Patriots when they play in Miami. See last season's game here for a great example of what I mean. Then I watched the post game wrap up, much to my kids' displeasure.

By this time it was 5:30. Time to oversee the shower and bath for my kids.

Because my kids are here with me tonight, it was my night to pick their movie. So I chose the classic "Wizard of Oz", which recently came out on a special edition DVD. Great stuff. My kids don't watch that movie very often, which is why I picked it. They have a tendency to pick the same movies every weekend, which gets tiring for me, since I have to watch it too. I only have one television here in my apartment, which is in view while I play on the computer.

While the movie was on, I was reading some old posts on one of the blogs I've linked to. Wow. Very moving and very powerful stuff. Now, I've got the Sunday night game on, but I'm not really watching it. I think I'll go and read. I've got several books I've started and have yet to finish.

See you all tomorrow.

8 Comments:

At 13 November, 2005 22:35, Blogger Genna said...

I hate how they rush Christmas in there--not to change the way people treat each other, but to make more profit off of the holiday. It is amazing how it is supposed to be about Christ and love and they turn it into everything else. I would love the season to last forever--if it changed the way people acted towards strangers and the people they love. But people just rush around, trying to spend all of their money to fufill some need they think money can buy... Sad.

My favorite Christmas memory? My mom would drive around at night with us in the car and we would check out the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. It was awesome! Over the years, we began to see less nativity scenes and more Santa Clauses.... Sad.

 
At 13 November, 2005 22:37, Blogger American Guy said...

"We didn't go to church today, for the fourth Sunday in a row."

You're going to hell my friend, but at least you'll be in good company (think of it this way - you'll be able to say 'I told you so' in person to me!).

"So I chose the classic "Wizard of Oz" ... Great stuff. My kids don't watch that movie very often, which is why I picked it. They have a tendency to pick the same movies every weekend, which gets tiring for me,"

This is where the irony really kicks in - i remember your sister used to watch Dorothy and co. over and over, and you found it very tiring. Now you use the wiz as an antidote to the same scenario?!?

and just kidding about the hell thing - you can go to your just reward. I plan on ending up on an anatomy table somewhere.

 
At 13 November, 2005 23:08, Blogger Zeppelinlady said...

green,

I agree with you. It's crazy!! Christmas items have already been displayed for sale at my job for a couple weeks now.

I'm surprised that haven't started playing the "piped in" x-mas songs yet. I shutter to think....

 
At 14 November, 2005 06:33, Blogger lccb81 said...

green,

I'm right there with you on Christmas. Commercials that show people around a Christmas tree?!?!? In October? or even pre-Thanksgiving? Sacriledge. But Christmas is about the presents right? And Easter is about the bunnies.

 
At 14 November, 2005 18:53, Blogger Tim said...

carla h: I couldn't agree with you more in that "Christmas" is all about profits for the retail stores and not about the true meaning behind the holiday. And it is so true, in our society today that people think that material wealth is the end-all be-all of existence.

That's a great Christmas memory...

american guy: ;>) I won't tell you "I told you so" unless you somehow become a Christian. Even then I probably wouldn't say that. I know where I'm going after I die... and I know where you're headed too. Yes, your body may end up on a cadaver table and that's fine and noble. It's where your soul is going that has me worried... Just looking out for you, my old friend.

It's funny you should remember that story about the Wizard and my little sister. I had forgotten about that until you mentioned it.

Since my kids generally stay with me two nights a week, each one has a night where they pick the movie that we watch. M on Fridays and V on Saturdays. Whenever they stay over on a Sunday night, that's MY night.

zepplinlady: That's one reason why I'm glad I no longer work in retail....

lccb: You mean we actually AGREE on something? Amazing. I thought Easter was for the chocolate bunnies & peanut butter eggs...;>)

constant: I used to HATE Easter because of the clothes. But it wasn't really the clothes, it was the standing around in the store while my parents shopped for clothes for my brother and sister (and me.) Used to waste a whole Saturday doing that...

 
At 14 November, 2005 21:00, Blogger Deb said...

I just got back from vacation on Oct 22nd. WAY before Halloween was even over.

I walked around, and all the stores were packed with Christmas gifts. They have this 'seasonal' store that opened up right in the beggining of Oct.

Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays (Christmas for me) --- but when I hear a Christmas song before Halloween, .......I get edgy---it means, I HAVE TO GO CHRISTMAS SHOPPING! *ahcKKKK*

Wouldn't it be nice if Christmas meant to only share with family & loved ones, instead of trying to get them the perfect gift? *sigh*

Also---another thing----true story---I was listening to the radio, on one of my regular stations I listen to, back in JULY, and they were playing Christmas songs.

????????????????????

I thought someone literally lost it.

I'm with ya on this post!

 
At 14 November, 2005 21:12, Blogger Tim said...

~deb

Couldn't agree with ya any more. I love Christmas but despise the commercial side of it, especially when decorations appear as early as they do these days...

Kind of makes you go hmmmmmm....

 
At 15 November, 2005 04:05, Blogger K~ said...

Green my friend,
I agree with you as well. As I have been lamenting on my blog and Scribes they have been pushing Halloween since early October. It totally drives me crazy. I like Christmas don't get me wrong but I like thinking about it in December not October! Even a radio station here is playing Christmas music 24x7 since Nov 1. They usually start AFTER Thanksgiving but figured they too would start early. But I guess we could blame Hallmark for they do their Christmas unveiling of ornaments in July! LOL'n
I watched the digitally remastered Wizard of Oz on tv the other night (it was after the Grinch Who Stole Christmas) and thought it was very well done.
Hope you start to feel better soon my friend. Just take it easy until then :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home