"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Monday, November 14, 2005

Wicked Good Slippers - part I



In the last post, I mentioned my "around the house" clothes. These are loose fitting pants, not jeans or sweats or pajamas. But that's not what I want to bring to your attention here.

I want to brag on these babies. My favorite slippers.



These slippers are soooo comfortable! You can get them here. Now you can say, "I'm not paying THAT much for a pair of slippers!!" But let me tell you, these are worth it, and so is buying from the company that sells them, LL Bean.

No sales pitch. True story. My ex gave me a pair of these slippers for Christmas almost six years ago, based on my (HINT) suggestion.... After about one year of wearing them every day while not working or sleeping, I naturally wore them out.

LL Bean has a reputation of replacing for free, any worn out item that they sell or if you are just dissatisfied with the item AT ANY TIME. So I sent them my soleless slippers and they sent me a second, brand new pair for free. They even sent me a check reimbursing me for the $3 something I spent on postage to send them back! Can you believe that?

It gets better.

Eighteen months later I wore the second pair out from constant use. So I sent them back to LL Bean, again. Shortly they sent me a third pair of slippers - again at no charge. They also sent me another check for the postage plus a self stick postage paid return label for the next time.

{Oh, before I forget - at the same time I returned pair of slippers #2, I also returned to them an LL Bean River Driver shirt that had worn out from about five years of wear and washing. They sent me a new shirt, free, in a new color, since the one I was returning wasn't made anymore. If memory serves - that shirt I, or my ex more likely, got from the Salvation Army, in a second hand thrift store. LL Bean still replaced 'em fer nuttin'.}

I'm wearing, as I write this, my third pair of these Wicked Good Slippers. These now are also at the point of being worn out. The inside of the slippers, when new, has a soft fuzzy, bunny fuzz-type lining. Not mine. I've worn them down to the bare leather sole.

Will I return the third pair? You betcha I will. Sooner rather than later, methinks.

Though I must add this disclaimer: DO NOT carry heavy, unwieldy objects down ANY flight of stairs while wearing these slippers, becasue the sole is smooth and offers NO traction whatsoever.

My brother experienced this the hard way, after I convinced him he ought to get some of these for himself. Almost threw out his back, he did, falling down the stairs, heavy object landing on top of him awkwardly.

14 Comments:

At 14 November, 2005 23:42, Blogger Genna said...

Wouldn't it be nice if they sold cars? After a few years, you can get your dented vehicle replaced with a shiny new one--free of charge?!

You should post a before and after. The slippers you are trading in for what you get in return.

We need more evidence....

 
At 15 November, 2005 08:17, Blogger Tim said...

What, my word ISN'T good enough for you?? ;>)

The great thing is, they (my current pair) don't really look all that bad. I'll see what I can do regarding your request, though.

BTW - Yes, it would be nice if they sold cars that way. I could use a new one about now.

 
At 15 November, 2005 09:03, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be a NE thang, they are wicked comfy, I've had a pair since 1997 I had to finally throw them out. Time to call LL Bean for a new pair. I've resurrected my blog green, thanks to you and constant for the words of encouragment. Come to my blog site for some delicious Thanksgiving day receipes.

 
At 15 November, 2005 20:08, Blogger Genna said...

Green--

No, we actually NEED some proof. This is a blog community, right? Can you really believe everything you read on the internet?

Hee hee.

--Carla

 
At 15 November, 2005 20:10, Blogger Tim said...

Well, you can - IF the source is reliable....

 
At 15 November, 2005 20:56, Blogger Genna said...

Oh Green! I guess you would be reliable witness, since you have become an expert at returns to this company. LOL.

 
At 15 November, 2005 21:10, Blogger Tim said...

*winks at you*

Yes, I am. Especially since I am wearing the evidence again, as I write.

As this is a public forum, and I its humble servant -- I must succumb to the wishes of said public.

Word to the wise - be careful what you wish for - you may get it.

*winks at you again*

So if evidence is what you desire, then evidence is what you shall receive.

 
At 15 November, 2005 21:13, Blogger Genna said...

"Still Waiting" (Although I am not sure for what? You almost made it sound like a threat...)

"Grin"

 
At 15 November, 2005 21:20, Blogger Tim said...

Well, I haven't returned the slippers yet. Shall I post only partial evidence? Or can you wait for the full monty? ;>)

 
At 15 November, 2005 21:24, Blogger Genna said...

PICS: Exhibit A and Exhibit B

A--"Before" Meaning, the old ones in the quality they are currently in.


B--"After" Meaning, the new ones they give you because you are harrassing them.

Any questions? (Hee Hee)

We just want to be informed public, ya know!

 
At 15 November, 2005 21:49, Blogger Tim said...

After what you've been through, I make no threats. I just want you to understand the full extent of what it is you're asking, is all.

I shall do you one better, though.

Not only shall I post pics A and B as you request, I'll also add pic C which will be a picture of the box that the slippers came in and the receipt which I recieved when I got pair #3. I saved the box since the return instructions advised me to do so AND I knew the day would come when these too would wear out.

I found said items in my closet just now. The receipt was in the box, and I had affixed the return label right to the box when I received the slippers, so not to lose it (which I certainly would have otherwise).

Looking at the receipt, I've had pair #3 since 8/18/03, which surprises me.

I think I will send back the slippers in tomorrow's mail since I have been talking about them in this post.


(See? Aren't you sorry you asked?)

 
At 15 November, 2005 22:10, Blogger Genna said...

I was just teasing you about the threat...

I heard on the radio today that many of the big companies are going to start tracking people who make returns, to see how frequently the same people return things. I wonder what they are going to do with that data...

Maybe one day you will come across a website, "America's Most Wanted-- Repeat Returner" :o>

I hate returning things...

 
At 15 November, 2005 22:27, Blogger Tim said...

I know you were teasing - I was jus' playin' along....

If there is eventually a show like that, I'll be the #1 most wanted!!!
This will be four times since Christmas 2000.

I don't mind returning things when circumstances allow.

But seriously, how can you NOT return things to a company who has such a stupendous return/exchange policy? Perhaps that's why their prices are so high. When I got the latest pair in 2003 they cost $44. Now they're listed at $49.50...

To take the return thing to it's farthest extreme, how about going to clothing thrift stores and buying any LL Bean items you can find. Then use their return policy to get brand new stuff.

Such the schemer that I am, though that's not an honest way to do things. But I didn't make the rules....

Actually I just got off the phone with them. Seems I can do a "quickexchange". Here's how it works:

I call them to tell them what I'm returning. They send me the item in tomorrow's mail BEFORE I return the slippers I have now. They'll bill my credit card for the purchase and credit it back upon receipt of the returned item. How sweet is that!!!

 
At 16 November, 2005 20:55, Blogger Tim said...

I did actually mail out the old slippers today. So by this time next week I should have the new ones.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home