"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

The end result

OK friends, here's a question for you. Ready?

Here's another: Have you ever had something (or a list of things) to do, know you have to do them sooner or later and not have the energy or desire to do them?

You're a liar if you said NO.

This my friends is called P R O C R A S T I N A T I O N!

And I seem to have it in spades. How or why did I get this way? I couldn't begin to tell you. It doesn't help that I was diagnosed at one time with ADD. It doesn't help that here at home there are soooo many distractions which keep me from doing the things that I know I need to do.

I know that I need to stop being distracted as easily, but that is a tremendous uphill battle. Most of the time I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two steps backward.

Have you ever heard of Stenderup's Law? It says that "the sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up." That seems to be the story of my life.

It's gotten so bad that I think my life is in a holding pattern, if you know what I mean. I know what I need to do in order to move my life along to the next level, to the next set of challenges but somehow am perpetually and continually stuck in the mud.

How many of you are familiar with the story of Jonah? Well folks, in a way you could say that I'm stuck right now in the belly of the whale. Now how do I get out?

So I'm looking for how you deal with this problem in your own life and what helps you to overcome it? What helps you to climb the mountain?

11 Comments:

At 21 December, 2005 23:56, Blogger American Guy said...

Ironically, Green meant to get around to writing this post ages ago...

 
At 22 December, 2005 00:03, Blogger Tim said...

You're not kidding, either.

The ideas for this post have been kicking arounf in my head for some time now...

 
At 22 December, 2005 05:20, Blogger DaBich said...

Procrastination is something I deal with a lot too. So, I TRY to get my determination up, and tell myself "if you get this and this done today, you can reward yourself by not doing THIS tomorrow." Sometimes it works. Many times it does. Best part is, I talk to myself and answer myself too! Sure sign of insanity ;)

 
At 22 December, 2005 08:40, Blogger Genna said...

I am not sure who said it but one of my favorite sayings....

PROCRASTINATION EQUALS STRESS.

I am so guilty when it comes to this.... Like my closet full of unwrapped Christmas presents!!

My advice? Stick with your passions. They will fuel the desire to work through it all and finish the job.

 
At 22 December, 2005 08:42, Blogger lccb81 said...

Unless it's not on the schedule, it doesn't get done... and if there isn't a deadline... well, it might never get done.

 
At 22 December, 2005 08:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a list girl. I think I got that from my Dad. I make a list in the morning of things I want to get done (at work) and check them off as I accomplish each task. Maybe that would work for you in your home life.

Works for me cause I'm pretty forgetful as I *age* and work is busy this time of year.

 
At 22 December, 2005 08:52, Blogger DaBich said...

Aaahh! Bluez, don't mention age! lol

 
At 22 December, 2005 09:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right now I'm procrastinating hitting the store for some stocking stuffers and wrapping paper. Well, maybe thats not procrastination seeing as people act mentally retarded this time of year.....

 
At 22 December, 2005 14:44, Blogger Kristi B. said...

Actually, I enjoy waiting until the last minute to do things. It's kind of like a challenge to me--How long can I put this off and still get it done well, and in time?

I'll do all my Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve. I arrive at meetings, classes, church, work with just a few seconds to spare.

To me, it is more stressful worrying about getting everything done early, than it is to just do it all at once when you know it's got to be done!

 
At 22 December, 2005 17:20, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last minute Christmas shopping can save you a bundle too! When my kids were little, I used to go shopping X-Mas eve with a few friends and spend 150 bucks at Toys R Us and walk out with 2 shopping carts full of toys on sale. My kids never knew I was poor as a churchmouse. NOW they know!! haha

 
At 22 December, 2005 17:57, Blogger Deb said...

Oh believe you me, I am the queen of unfinished projects. Don't feel bad. I think it makes us 'less stressed' when we procrastinate. I have mastered the theory on that one.

Accept yourself 'as is', and know that procrastinators live longer.

hehe!

Great post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home