"So Let it Be Written... So Let it Be Done"

The life and times of a real, down to earth, nice guy. A relocated New Englander formerly living somewhere north of Boston, but now soaking up the bright sun of southwestern Florida (aka The Gulf Coast) for over nine years. Welcome to my blog world. Please leave it as clean as it was before you came. Thanks for visiting, BTW please leave a relevant comment so I know you were here. No blog spam, please. (c) MMV-MMXIX Court Jester Productions & Bamford Communications

Friday, January 20, 2006

What's a father to do?

Ok, so here I am reading some blogs about an hour ago, when my 8 year old daughter V comes to me and says that she can't get to sleep because of an awful itch in a private area of her body. Sounds to me like what my ex once described as a yeast infection.

Greeaaaaat. a yeast infection on an 8 year old.

So what am I supposed to do about it? I've got no clue and there are no other women here (in my apartment) to ask. My daughter is almost to tears saying it itches real bad and she wants to scratch "like every two minutes." I tell her that I don't know what I can do for her now, BUT I will call the ex at work and ask her advice and opinion - then we'll go from there.

Ex tells me this is maybe not as bad as a yeast infection and that I might fill up the tub and let V soak for 10-15 minutes or so, while having her wash that area thoroughly with soap. Then she suggests (and I agree) that there may be some medication that I can buy tomorrow at the pharmacy. So first thing in the morning when we start our Saturday errands will be a trip to the pharmacy and a consultation with the pharmacist on what medication, cream, ointment or whatever is best for an 8 year old, or if anything at all will help.

Now I consider myself to be a pretty resourceful guy, but I'm at a loss when it comes to these kinds of things (obviously).


That's gotta be the one drawback to being a single dad with a daughter.

Ed. Note @ 23:25 - It's been almost two hours now since the soaking and I've not heard a peep out of V. I guess the bath and washing helped. For that, I'm grateful. Believe me.

---

Forgotten English word of the day, with interesting story to go along with it. Enjoy.

WHIZZ-BANG: A mixture of morphine and cocaine injected subcutaneously.
-Maurice Weseen's A Dictionary of American Slang, 1934.

The Mysterious Death of George V
Official documents described the demise of England's King George V from influenza on January 20, 1936, as having been a "peaceful transition" into eternal sleep that occurred after he had inquired about the welfare of his kingdom. Technically speaking, this may have been true. But the notes of George's physician, Lord Dawson, declassified a half-century later, revealed some royal omissions. "At about 11 PM," Dawson wrote, "it was evident that the last stage [of illness] might endure for many hours, unknown to the patient but little comporting with the dignity and serenity which he most richly merited, and which demanded a brief final scene. I therefore decided to determine the end." His majesty was first numbed with a small dose of morphine but not before barking his indignant last words, "Damn you!" Then with consent of his wife and the prince regent, he was apparently put down with a whizz-bang.

7 Comments:

At 21 January, 2006 00:43, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cripes I have no clue . she's so young. Desitin? Make her eat LOTS of yogurt, as much as possible!!

 
At 21 January, 2006 10:06, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Oh, MAN I'm glad I don't have kids!!!! LOL

 
At 21 January, 2006 10:50, Blogger Ruth said...

I'm guessing that did it (the bath). It could be as innocent as heat rash. A very light dusting of baby powder (unscented) before she puts on her clothes could help too. Poor dear... I hope it takes care of itself. I hate to say it, but it could have been MUCH worse. Well, that will come later... LOL... ;) When that time comes I will have advice... so just post...

 
At 21 January, 2006 12:47, Blogger wmy said...

You poor guy! LOL...My daughter has had a couple yeast infections...she is 10 years old...the first one was when she was 1 MONTH old!!! Now, that was scary! According to the doc, lots of baby girls have these problems...its only the beginning my friend, so buckle up k? LOL
And remember, we are here if you need us!

 
At 21 January, 2006 15:03, Blogger DaBich said...

I'm glad the bath took care of the problem. What a predicament! lol Perhaps a call to the pharmacy would have helped, if it were open, but all's well that ends well.

 
At 22 January, 2006 01:17, Blogger K~ said...

Green, best advice since you aren't a doctor is to make sure you are indeed treating a yeast infection and not some other disease of the urinary tract. You really can't self diagnose a yeast infection at that young of an age. It's best just to have her looked over just in case.
Because you could be treating her for the wrong thing and have a lot of trouble down the road.
Good luck and I hope she feels better soon.

 
At 22 January, 2006 15:19, Blogger c nadeau & t johnson said...

Well, so much for lunch, thanks K!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home